Thread: How do I add city symbols on a map?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How do I add city symbols on a map?

Hello.
    I am a beginner in cartography and I would like to know what is the easiest program to add city markers and symbols on an existing map? Ann a source for some markers?
    Sorry if it's a stupid question.
    Thanks

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi topcat - if I had a map that needed counters I'd probably use photoshop, put the map in the bottom layer and then add a layer (or more) for the markers. Gimp would work as well, and you could also do it with Illustrator or Inkscape if needed.
    There are a lot of markers in here if you search the forum, and I have a small tutorial on how to make simple ones in photoshop. Depending on what you want you might find it here or just google for some - remember copyright issues though, especially if you want to make something professional
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

You might also take a look at the dingbat fonts you already have. Depending on what sort of markers you want, you may find what you need there: simple dots and stars, and a few abstract symbols.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

What program will you be using?

I built my original set using the Custom Shapes that came with PS. Fonts are also another great resource (already mentioned by others here).

Putting a small Outer glow effect on them makes them show-up better on darker maps.
    Last edited by MarkusTay; 11-23-2010 at 03:06 PM.

I was going to speak up for dingbats, wingdings, webdings or one of the existing symbol fonts you probably already have on your computer.

You can simply add markers using any program, even word or open office writer.

-Rob A>