Thread: Random Dungeon

Question Random Dungeon

Hi Folks,

Our gaming group is starting to play Pathfinder. I like playing and I like GM'ing, however I'm unfamiliar with the Golarion setting so to that end I've been reading through some of the books and I had a look at the Games Mastery Guide. Now that tome contains a heap of tables for generating dungeons and dungeon elements, so I thought as a follow on to the recent lite challenge re random dungeons I would have a crack at creating a totally random dungeon.

So, I rolled a D6 for the number of entrances/exits and got a 1. I rolled a D12 for the number of levels and got, you guessed correctly, 12. So then I rolled a D20 for the number of rooms per level and got the following; 3, 13, 9, 2, 20, 14, 11, 3, 20, 17, 14 & another 20. All in all a massive dungeon. I do not, at this stage, intend to map the whole thing in one go. I thought I'd start with the 1st two levels and see where that goes. So now to consult the tables which can be found starting on page 178 of the Games Mastery Guide (all percentile rolls).

Table 7.1 Places to find a Dungeon - Rubble of a ruined Citadel
    Table 7.2 Types of Dungeon - What's down the plug hole of a wizards sink
    Table 7.3 Dungeon Entrances - a hole suddenly opens in the city streets
    • Table 7.4 Dungeon Rooms
    • L1 - Bestiary, choke point & smithy
    • L2 - Laboratory, stable, workshop, kennel, guard room, antechamber, pantry, storeroom, training hall, infirmary, barrack, jail & armoury

That's as far as I've gotten so far. My question is, and the purpose of this post, would such a dungeon qualify for the current challenge of map it wrong?

Thoughts?
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Sounds OK to me, but not my challenge.

TBH, I don't think I'm going to have time to do this for the challenge, should've thought about it earlier, but I'm definitely going to do it anyway for practice if nothing else...

Finished Maps

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Yikes. I think that's bigger than the Emerald Spire.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by wdmartin View Post
    Yikes. I think that's bigger than the Emerald Spire.

Have fun!
    Hi wdmartin,

Yeah, it'll be a mega-dungeon for sure if I do each level, 146 rooms + passage ways. I'll definitely do the 1st 2 levels in something like a Dyson-style map, 16 rooms isn't too bad. I probably won't go crazy with post production, i.e. colouring etc but we'll see. I might wait till after my birthday next week before I start - who knows, if I get a graphic tablet I might do it all digitally.

Finished Maps

Ok. So I ended up getting some cash for my birthday and got a graphics tablet, so I'm going to try full digital and emulate the Dyson-style for the dungeon portions.

I had a thought about the concept; Ruined Citadel, what's down the plug hole of a wizards sink etc and came up with the idea of a derelict, giant, Mage Academy. As per the discussion on my Crypt of the Witch King thread I decided to use a magic circle as the basis of the academy, i.e the citadel itself is built as a massive magic circle, the "sink" will lead to another 'reality' where some of the wizards refuse (think along the lines of DNA strands) have taken on life and developed their own ecosystem.

I sketched a preliminary drawing at home to see how it would look and thought it looked OK, so while I had 10 minutes spare at work ths morning I knocked this up in PS CS4 as a construction drawing. The blue lines will form the actual walls of the primary structures while the magic circle will be major roads and the moat. I'll fill in the rest with different wards etc. Of course once I get the citadel done, I'll have to "ruin it" but I thought it would be easier to do a complete structure and then modify it.

Any suggestions, critique and general advice would me more than welcome. Below is my WIP.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mage Citadel.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	93850
    Last edited by damonjynx; 03-19-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Finished Maps