Thread: Doodle for the day

Default Doodle for the day

Nothing much, just wanted to test out a new way of doing mountains. It came out pretty well I think and then I decided to just make the whole thing look like a watercolor painting just for kicks. It's not much but I thought I'd just share it anyway.

It's going to be crappy because the whole thing was only done 72ppi which was an accident.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CubeMtnTestWatercolor.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	282.8 KB 
ID:	31107  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Yeah.. The quality is pretty low... But concept of the map is great I love the river. And the mountains.

The resolution may be crummy, but the quality is great, if you'll accept that nitpicking distinction. Do you have any other maps herein done in waercolor style? I like the look.

Erik Gauger has some lovely watercolor maps in his Notes From The Road Blog.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks good Jax, been thinking of real watercoloring myself, but never gotten around to it
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I think I know what you mean jb. I was mainly going for a way to make good looking mountains but once I had that looking about as good as I could there wasn't anything else to do with it and since I haven't yet been happy with making watercolor in Gimp that's what I tried. Sort of phase 2 of the exercise. I think the real mountain came out well and i will use the techniques in my next satellite map I imagine.

@Tilt - It's a great medium but can be tricky. If you aren't careful you can end up with puddles of warped paper. Nothing else much looks like it though once you get it. Make sure to get some real watercolor paper. I always try to do it with regular paper and while parts of it look good it tends to get messy.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah... I have an A2 water color pad that I bought 10 years ago... but haven't got any water colors at the moment... for now, I'm doing a pencil map instead, fun to work with that again
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise