Thread: Hello all

Default Hello all

So I asked the interweb where folks would help me make a map, and it game me the DMA, USGS, and you guys, so here I am...

I'm just a gamer (with to many little projects, one of which includes making a map), a student, and a level 2 dad.

I've played table top stuff for years (starting with the little red books form TSR, workign my way through AD&D, 2nd Ed, ShadowRun, GURPS, Mechwarrior), and these days I spend my time looking at the more recent versions of FATE (I use the Diaspora SRD for the core of what ever I am fantasizing about). Professionally I was a deck officer on sailing ships so I've spent some time thinking about charts & their workings, surveying, and the like. That said I must go tend to the child.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Ahhh yes...I remember those days of being a low level dad fondly......but now I have a couple of mid level kids and wish I could go back to those days.....

Seriously though, enjoy the time you got, and Welcome to the Mappiest Place on the Web We have plenty of resorces to help you make great maps, as well as a fair number of people more than willing to guide you through the process. When you start a map, post it in the WIP (Work In Progress) threads to get the most out of our helpfull C & C. We also have a Tutorial section to help you find a starting point.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Welcome! Of course the USGS would help you make really, really good maps :-). We might be a better entry point though. Rummage through the tutorials, and the finished maps. Many of the Acknowleged Great Ones have links in their signatures pointing to the applicable tutorials to do their style.

Everybody's got something to teach as well as something to learn -- as an actual USER of nautical charts, please tell us some useful stuff about them.... why feature X is so gosh-awful critical, when they stopped putting thingey Y on them, C&C on posted ones that offer how to be more realistic. That sort of stuff. We await your instruction ...

As a level 7 Dad, my map advice w/r/t the children is make maps with them from the start, even if the medium is pudding on a tray :-)... ESPECIALLY if the medium is pudding on a tray.

(are the levels based on quantity of offspring, or years' experience? I might be a level 24... )

Ask and you shall receive. The Extreme Nautical Trivia source is right here. Let me know if you all have questions about charts old or new, or various methods of navigation (historical, or not)... the sextant is on the shelf next to me, the compass is around here somewhere, and the backstaff hangs on the wall in the shop.

I was issued my Dad levels based on my active participation in the birthing process, and via grinding away at diapers & food for The Mom.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    (are the levels based on quantity of offspring, or years' experience? I might be a level 24... )
    I so hope that level 24 is from years of experience and not number of offspring *lol* ...

welcome to the guild mckee
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

wellll, levels come with experience in my mind, but would assume you can rack up quite a bit of experience with 24 kids running around...
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah.. thats like "epic" father *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave