Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** December Challenge: Pirate Cavern ***

Post *** December Challenge: Pirate Cavern ***

This month's challenge will traipse into TWO new areas:

First, ever since the inception of our Guild Challenges we have yet to assign subterranean cartography. We'll change that this month by challenging you to create a cave map. Specifically a coastal cavern and tunnel/cave system. To make matters more interesting, these caves were once used as a pirate hideout, although these cutthroats have long since disappeared. Still, evidence of their stay awaits the intrepid adventurer. (Optionally, you may also have the cavern system re-inhabited by human, undead, or beastly denizens.)

The second new twist for our December challenge concerns the time allotted for map creation. You must, from start to finish, craft this map in under four hours. You may conceive, plan, and roughly lay out your map for as long as you like beforehand, but from the moment you begin putting actual pen to paper (or virtual pixel to screen) the act of cartography may last no more than four hours. (Trusting on the honor system here, of course!)

GUIDELINES

* The map should be a cavern and accompanying cave system located by a large body of water or a coastal river
    * Evidence of now-vanished pirate use must be evident
    * The map may be in any style: authentic (aka, "player handout"), antique, realistic, representational, etc.
    * Provide a scale and at least basic labeling
    * Era is at the creator's discretion (i.e., this may be medieval, a modern, Age of Exploration, sci-fi...)
    * The map must be completed in less than four hours (not including planning time)

The following "bonus" considerations may be completed outside the time requirement, although remember that the actual cavern map entry alone will determine the winner:
    * Bonus consideration for mapping the surrounding countryside/nation/continent/sea...
    * The long-lost pirates' legend/story would also add to the enjoyment of the map!

Remember to adhere to the contest rules, plus create a thread for your entry (WIPs welcome), and if you have any questions please post them in this thread. Good luck!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Does it have to be a coastal cavern?
    A typical pirate cavern system for Sci-Fi would be an asteroid hideaway.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Hm! I guess I don't see why not!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Yippee!

I am gonna do mine as an OLD STYLE D&D MOdule!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    Does it have to be a coastal cavern?
    A typical pirate cavern system for Sci-Fi would be an asteroid hideaway.
    Funny - thats what I was thinking as well

-Rob A>

While looking for ideas, I came up with one that I didn't pursue - steampunk pirates in an abandoned volcano.

While seeking inspiration I came across this extremely cool train layout (check out the whole thread for more pictures)...

The option is still out there for someone else to join in

-Rob A>

Remember - there are still two weeks till the end of this challenge! Surely everyone can find four hours over two weeks! That's less than 18 minutes a day!

Question - can a single person put in two entries? I tossed out the "steampunk pirates in an old volcanic island" but no-one has jumped on it yet...

-Rob A>
    (This post was brought to you by the colour yellow and the number 4 )

Post I thought about the same thing, sort of...

The thought has been playing in my head to create a Sci-Fi pirates map and I really want to try 3D, since my attempt at using 3D for the DuFlor map failed utterly - I know I can get 3D to work at fast enough pace, as long as I don't get so complicated in design.

I thought of possibly creating a thread outside the challenge forum to do just this, but I didn't want to confuse anyone regarding the current challenge entry.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I'm in the same boat as Ravells, but I am hoping to be able to squeeze out some time next week to make an entry. And no, it's not going to be steampunk volcano train pirates, although that's a great idea, and I may very well use it in a game some day.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast