just made this up in a couple hours
    any suggestions?
    the first map I haven't given up on half way through
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mappey.png 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	31122
    "I want to have a party, I want to have a party, I want to have a party, you cannot kill the party, you cannot kill the party, you cannot kill the party, long live the party!" -- Andrew WK (Long Live the Party)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the colors but just two things I might tweak: put some more dark blue out in the deeper part of the ocean (that makes it look deeper than the coastal area) and simplify the road/border thingy (not sure which it is but nonetheless it doesn't have to be so ornate - keep it a solid color).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm with Ascension, like the colors but the road should be simpler, and perhaps you could sharpen up the city symbol the "uneven" lines contrast a little to the clean text. And deepen the ocean blue ... and have some rep for your first upload
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

It's a bit noisy. It looks extremely cluttered because of the noise (is that a layer of overlaid black/white gradient-mapped plasma?). With it being such a small area that you've mapped, the rendered clouds you used for the sea should be a LOT larger so that it's a bit more spaced out.

On the note of your land colours, they're nice, yes, but the grass is a little too close to the colour of the forests. Grass is very rarely that dark green in such a large area. On the note of your forests and mountains, they look a bit blurry. They have lovely shapes and really look like they pop out, but they look a bit blurry there.

I second the others on that road. I suggest you take a colour similar to dirt, make that the road colour, select the entire road, shrink that selection down a bit, and feather it so it doesn't have a hard edge. Try and give it a beaten path effect. After that, you can always overlay a rocky texture on for a built up road. I also second the others on that icon. It looks nice enough, but it's messy.

One final note: for future maps, think about composition. In this one, you've got a lot of empty sea space which is good, because you need a place to have a Key and Titles, et cetera, but you've got more empty sea than you do land. However, I do commend you on your first map effort. I look forward to seeing it polished up.

Name:	Mappey2.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	31162
    ok, I've made the ocean gradient a lot more apparent, and taken off one of the layers of texture
    also added a river (though I'm not at all pleased with how it came out)
    made the road into a dirty sort of color (though I originally intended for it to be fore of a marker, rather than a drawn path)
    I lightened up the grass a bit and darkened the trees
    how does it look compared? less cluttered?

Name:	Mappey2.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	31163
    trees are bluer
    town symbol is rounder
    Last edited by ISGC; 11-29-2010 at 08:13 PM.
    "I want to have a party, I want to have a party, I want to have a party, you cannot kill the party, you cannot kill the party, you cannot kill the party, long live the party!" -- Andrew WK (Long Live the Party)

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

much better
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise