Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cathedral and crypts, isometric

Blog Entries

Thats just it Ravs, you cant export OBJ from sketchup but (and not being on my normal machine here) I just installed sketchup and Blender and sketchup can export COLLADA directly and Blender imports it directly. If Bryce can import COLLADA files then its all a GO else you need to convert with something like Blender or MeshLab or some other 3D format converter. I should add that there is no need to unzip or change extensions or anything it can go directly. Also, this COLLADA format is pretty cool since its based on XML - I see this usurping the more common OBJ format.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

so I've checked out the videos RE, looks really easy - at least the basics. ... and with all the talk in this thread about exporting and stuff I just checked what it would cost to "go pro" ... 430 euros! ... so I'm guessing the free version will do
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Thats just it Ravs, you cant export OBJ from sketchup but (and not being on my normal machine here) I just installed sketchup and Blender and sketchup can export COLLADA directly and Blender imports it directly. If Bryce can import COLLADA files then its all a GO else you need to convert with something like Blender or MeshLab or some other 3D format converter. I should add that there is no need to unzip or change extensions or anything it can go directly. Also, this COLLADA format is pretty cool since its based on XML - I see this usurping the more common OBJ format.
    Just checked with Bryce 6, doesn't look like it will import Collada files.

Trying out different rendering software... definitely have no idea what I'm doing. I am just getting interested in 3D stuff, but am extremely daunted by how much I don't know...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render.jpg 
Views:	960 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	31208  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessEnthusiasm View Post
    ... definitely have no idea what I'm doing.
    yeah.. thats my way of working too *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Ditto what Ravs said...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm in a video game development program at a local community college. We used Sketchup in our intro class (I took it Fall '10 semester)...I really didn't like it much. But what you've done here is really awesome. I can even tell which techniques and tools you used on most of your model. I agree that Sketchup's textures are really flat...but have you looked at the Indigo renderer? It has a plugin for Sketchup and it's totally free (as far as I know). They have a commercial version but the free version gets some great results. One of the guys in my class used it and it turned the models from cartoony to really nice. You might want to look into it if you continue using Sketchup a lot.

I never really considered using a 3D program to make maps, but this isometric model gives me a lot of ideas. Thanks for posting! I'm giving you rep.

Wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123