Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Goal: Medieval city block

Wip Goal: Medieval city block

Oh no, not now. It took a long time for me to find a suitable 3D program. After testing a lot of programs I've spent some time with Wings3D, until I've discovered Silo3D.
    Finally I've finished my first little project. These are the barrels you can see in the picture with complete UV mapping, rendered in Bryce.
    Motivated by that I want to create a medieval like city block, consisting of randomly placed buildings. To keep things simple at first and to learn more I started to create a well-house. Here is a first draft. I will add a suitable entrance and a few windows in the next post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barrel.jpg 
Views:	1060 
Size:	333.1 KB 
ID:	31986   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenie.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	289.2 KB 
ID:	31987  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I always wanted to do this as well but never had the patience to stick with it. I hope you make some really cool houses so that I can use them So far it looks good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Glad you went with Silo, I think it's wonderful! Those barrels look great! Are you using a normal map? I didn't realise that Bryce supported normal maps.. Looking great so far Katto!

Thanks guys! Silo is indeed a wonderful program, easy to learn and very intuitive to work with. I use Bryce since 6.3 and I think the option to use normal maps was implemented there.

Name:	Bryce.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	32061  

A bump map is a little different and slightly less effective than a normal map. A normal map uses values of red, green and blue to denote slope components along three directions spread 120º apart. a bump map is essentially just a greyscale map showing displacement relative to the basic surface of the model object. These both merely alter the texture of the surface by adding the appearance of variations in light and shadow. A displacement map is similar to the terrain maps in Bryce, it actually alters the geometry of the object by displacing points in the surface through space. Bryce lacks normal mapping and, except for terrain and symmetry objects, displacement. I'm not sure if 7 has added to either of these capabilities.

Ah, yes, as Su Liam says, that's a bump map, not quite as good as a normal map. Anyway, if it's any help, here's an .sib file of a house I made.

Best

Ravs
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the explanation su_liam! I didn't thought there is a difference between normal and bump maps, now I know. Displacement is supported with Bryce 7 Pro, but I haven't tried it yet. It was quite buggy in the initial release.
    Btw, a little progress with the wellhouse.

Name:	Wellhouse 2.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	32071  

I think I have the final shape.

Name:	Wellhouse 3.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	345.7 KB 
ID:	32148  

I finished the UV mapping, but won't do any texturing until I have created a few buildings. There this is my first more "complex" model I will share it. Feel free to misuse and texture it as you like (as long as you will show the results here ).
    Oh, it is a *.obj file.

Name:	Wellhouse.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	32225  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Damn, that will be a lot of work. I hope I will finish it.

Name:	House 01.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	32375  

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast