Thread: I am looking for sketchy or cartoony textures...

Default I am looking for sketchy or cartoony textures...

I've been doing a little 3D work lately, and one thing I can't stand about it is how artificial all the textures look. I was wondering if anyone has any 'sketchy' textures they are willing to share--the kind where there is just a little detail that implies a lot more, like when you draw a brick wall and only draw a few scattered clusters of lines to imply bricks. Stuff like this or this.

Just to check, but I presume you already checked out the sketchy style lines & textures that Sketchup provides by default? They are few and not all very good but some very reasonable.

Djekspek - yep, they have some pretty rough looking textures built in, but I thought I'd cast a net and see if anyone had any nicer ones. Looks like it might be up to me to sketch some for myself (which will probably be more fulfilling in the long run anyway)!

heya, you got me thinking and I did a little test. I think one can relatively easy create sketchy textures that may do the job, using existing textures and applying the charcoal filter in photoshop. I attached a simple example. cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	1074 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	31176  

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

thats a great idea djespek - gotta keep the work load low
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

by the way RE - please post an example of the textures in use - love to see the cartoonish look on your 3D models
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Djekspek - Thanks! It didn't even occur to me to just try some simple PS filters. I'll experiment and be sure to post what I come up with, if it turns out nice.

Tilt - I'll remember to!
    Last edited by RecklessEnthusiasm; 12-01-2010 at 04:52 AM.

Don't know if it helps, but I did some pencil shading tiling textures (posted below). I tried using a texture for the 'scattered clumps of cobbles' for a castle drawing I was doing a while back, but just couldn't get it to look credible. In the end I found it easier just to draw the clumps individually. It will be great to see how you get on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil shading.jpg 
Views:	3484 
Size:	566.6 KB 
ID:	31193   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graphic pen.jpg 
Views:	15289 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	31194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pencil shading1.jpg 
Views:	12188 
Size:	538.4 KB 
ID:	31195  

Check out FilterForge http://www.filterforge.com/ its a plugin for PS that generates thousands of textures that can bond seamlessly. you can also make normal maps with it. right now it is 70% off.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson