Thread: Questions on a commission

Question Questions on a commission

Hi all!
    It's been a long time since I've stopped by here, good to see there are still a few active posts.

I have a question for those of you who have done commissions. A guy I know saw some of my map sketches and was apparantly really impressed because he wants me to paint a map on one of the walls in his house. My question is what would be a good ballpark figure to quote on something of that scale? He's a sort of acquaintance of mine from school, and I don't want to give him an exorbitant price to do it...I think it would be really fun, but I can't afford to do it for free or for too little

Has anyone here done that kind of thing before? I'm not sure of the wall size yet, if it isn't that big I might suggest putting it on canvas, that way he could keep it if he ever moves...

any suggestions?

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd start by figuring out how many hours I was going to use to do it. And remember to calculate time for the layout/sketch you do before putting it on the wall - and add some time for "troubles" that delays the project. Then when you've got a ball park figure - double it, and you've probably hit the mark
    Then you think on how much/little you will charge per hour to be satisfied - and feel free to tell him that this is the FRIEND price and not what you will charge for other peoples walls
    and congrats on the commission and good luck
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

What you are really doing is painting a mural and that is a fairly common thing. Fortunately I did a quick Google-fu and found this website complete with a chart based on size and some other factors: International Mural Pricing chart
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt