Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: December Entry: Tmonkey's Pirate Caves

Planning for me will encompass a backstory, a general plan for the number and types of maps I intend to produce, and a lot of thought.

Additionally, as has been discussed elsewhere, I have always used MS Paint to do my maps. I recently downloaded GIMP and started playing with it. I guess planning then will also include the decision to stay with the tried-and-true or make the leap to the newest technology.

As I see it, there is one advantage and one disadvantage to switching to GIMP right now. Adv: More powerful application will make the process that much faster for me allowing me to accomplish more in four hours than otherwise possible. Disadv: Rather than jumping right into the challenge now, I'll have to spend a bunch of time getting familiar with new software. Considering my impatience to get going, that is quite a large disadvantage.

Map

okay

clocking in at 3 hours, 45 minutes, here is my entry. i know i still have 15 minutes, and i might still ad a few more things, but i think for now it's finished. i might put something up before the deadline, but i think i have only time for one or two other things that wouldn't add dramatically to the overall entry.

the first is a player map of the island, and the second is a DM map of the main cave area. i might still do some of the smaller caves, but right now i think i'll devote my time to coming up with a story and a key to the maps i've already made.

good luck to the other entrants! may the best map win!

all in all, i had fun finally figuring out how the layer masking works, texture effects, and all the other things that i can find out about corel draw. have fun guys! i know i did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isla de los muertos pm.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	281.7 KB 
ID:	1910   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	idlm caves.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	923.9 KB 
ID:	1911  

Very nice!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I really like the player's map, although it seems a bit too fuzzy for my taste. The colors are perfect, and as a player, I would love to be handed that.

One question: Since you've numbered the chambers on the map, can we expect to see a key stating what the various locations are?

yes, i'm working on a history and key to the map right now. i'll probably post it in the next day or so.

the basic story involves passion, love, revenge, and murder on the high seas.

Excellent work! I love the backdrop, and the caverns themselves look very good as well. It is often difficult to come up with an overall design that looks good and has verisimilitude but is also suitable for game play. You have done a great job on that here.

Post The Legend of Admiral Alejandro Ruiz

The Story of Isla de los Muertos

Captain Alejandro Ruiz was the admiral of a fleet of 6 vessels carrying spices, silver, gold, and other supplies to Spain during the war against the French in the mid 1600’s. This trip was the last time Ruiz was going to be back to the new world, as he had met a woman named Maria Lopez and fell in love. Within a month of courtship they were married and she accompanied him back on his flagship to live a happy life in Spain. While on this journey, his ship passed by the island of Puerto Rico and was attacked by a larger fleet of French ships. The admiral of the French fleet, Jean Philippe du Richard, saw what he thought was an easy target and attacked the smaller Spanish fleet.
    A lengthy battle ensued between the two rival flagships and the two captains fought to a standstill. During the fight, Maria decided to come to the aid of her husband, as she was a skilled fighter with a blade. Jean Philippe was mortally wounded, up against the wall, and pulled out a flintlock pistol. He fired. At the same instant, Marie jumped in front of her husband and took the bullet in his stead, stumbled, uttered the name, “Alejandro…” before dying and falling overboard.
    Ruiz was devastated, stood, stabbed Philippe in the chest and with his remaining strength pushed him off the ship, presumably to his death. The battle was over. Ruiz’s crippled fleet limped to a nearby island and found a safe harbor, a large cave system and jungles full of wood that would aid in the repair of his ships. With his hatred of the French burning ever deeper, he decided to set up camp on this island and attack any French ships he could find in the area as a pirate. He denounced his Spanish allegiances and became a pirate. He made a pact that any ship he boarded would be purged of life, and there would be no quarter for the crew. All would be put to the sword. He has been named and enemy of both the French and Spanish crowns and is now a wanted fugitive.
    In the ensuing months, he has built a small settlement on the island, set up watch towers, a villa for himself, and made an alliance of a witch doctor that has healed his men after battles against his enemies.
    The fate of Jean Philippe du Richard was never established. His body was never recovered, and there are rumors that he still yet lives, ready to meet his mortal enemy in battle once and for all. Until then, Ruiz waits for the day when he can finally have revenge against the man who killed his lover.

Post map key

Map key

1. Main Cave Entrance
    2. Guard/ look out tower entrance cave
    3. Guard Cave
    4. Primary Storage
    5. Secondary Storage
    6. Curandera de Brujas (Witch doctor)
    7. Manos del Diablo Cave (Devil’s Hands)
    8. Captain Ruiz’s Quarters
    9. Annex
    10. Dientes de Dragon (The Dragon’s Maw Cavern)
    11. Main Living Quarters
    12. Agua Onda Cave (Deep Water)
    13. Tigaron’s Cave (The Man Eater)

Map

done!

this is the final entry, the final final won't work on it any more entry. i had a few minutes, so i went back to one of my older maps, copied the furniture from it, copy pasted a bunch, added a few shadows real quick here and there, and wah lah! that's it. so here is my final contest entry. i'm at about 4 hours, give or take a few minutes. that is including the players map, which took maybe 15 or 20 minutes to get right. enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	idlm caves final.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	933.3 KB 
ID:	1962  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12