Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December Entry: Tmonkey's Pirate Caves

Post December Entry: Tmonkey's Pirate Caves

okay, count me in. create a pirate cave system in under 4 hours? perfect. how can i lose?

watch this thread in the future ladies and gents. prepare to be wowwed.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah tm...every time you enter a challenge, you end up buggign out early because you ran out of time or couldn't dedicate enough time...This time, there's no excuses...4 hrs you can handle!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Post Isla de los Muertos

okay, you got me there. i've been thinking, looking at some places, and i think i'll plan on this one being an island in the caribbean, with a spanish fortress and a fleet of ships with a series of sea caves. i'm doing the planning stages for it right now, but i intend to have the caves done, as well as a fort with a small town mapped out as well. i think i can do that in 4 hours. no problem.

Map

okay, so here is the planning map for Isla de los Muertos. this was done in about a half hour just so i could get the ideas down that i wanted for the overview. its hard for me just to do a map of a series of caves if i don't at least know where they are and have that in my head first.

one trip to google earth later, i had an island i was happy with. now on to the caves. i'm just wondering, does this count as prep time?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isla de los muertos.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	287.9 KB 
ID:	1880  

Post Until you submit your final map, everything is prep time

Until you or anyone submits their "final map" - everything is prep work. I foresee drawing a dozen different cave plans to help me decide which do I want to choose for final layout, as well as a dozen different islands. Once I decide this is the cave system I plan to use, with a particular island and coastal region, then I will redraw everything in the alotted time frame of 4 hours.

TM - this looks like prep work only, so it shouldn't count against your actual mapping time frame, not at all.

I'm not participating to shoot for a "win" so much as to see if I can create a plauseable, useable and fun pirate cave map in a four hour period. I want to see what's possible in a 4 hour period.

I actually hope someone else wins!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Terrainmonkey - A trip to Google Earth?! Where is the originality?

Gamerprinter - Spoken as if you consider yourself the default winner unless you choose not to try? Mmmmm...

And drawing a map start to finish in four hours is VERY different than sketching some dozen and then choosing your best to move into final development.

Map

okay, i spent way too much time on this one. hour and 45 minutes. from 2:30 on til just a few minutes ago EST.

Now on to the other map of the main and other caves around the island.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isla de los muertos.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	1881  

I like those decorative patterns in the corners, though they don't look good at the map's full resolution. I'm really looking forward to see what you do with the caves.

I'm hoping I'll be able to shoehorn this challenge into my free time; I have the beginnings of a fun idea in my head.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Looking great, TM! The monkey strikes again!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Post Not at all...

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    Gamerprinter - Spoken as if you consider yourself the default winner unless you choose not to try? Mmmmm....
    That's not what I mean at all. I will certainly create a map to fulfills my own satisfaction, which will hopefully will be competitive - I'm not going to try to lose. However being able to create a plauseable map in 4 hours is an extreme challenge, IMHO. I don't know if I can create a map that satisfies me in a 4 hour period.

I intend to hand-draw the map, label it with numbers, scan it and apply color in Xara Xtreme and a grid to call it a finished map. That's almost too much to accomplish in a four hour window, but that's what I'll try to do.

Regarding pre-drawing maps and cave systems - I'm simply planning the way I go. Once I decide on an island and cave system that works for me, I will set my stop watch and recreate from scratch my island and cave system. I don't want to be two hours into drawing my cave system and decide - naw, this is not the way I want to go, stop the clock and start over (that would be a waste of time.) By planning ahead, I will have a good idea at the final solution and make best use of my time.

What would do you do for planning, Cartographist?

The true map work will only be done within the 4 hour time period only.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-09-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: edits...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast