Thread: More water experiments

Default More water experiments

Hey. Yeah I'm back, if anyone remembers me. Can't believe it's been a year or so since I've touched photoshop. Picking up right where I left off, which is trying different ways to do water.

Think I like the middle one the most, the shore blue just needs to be less bright I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	archipelagowatertest1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	436.6 KB 
ID:	31216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	archipelagowatertest3.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	418.0 KB 
ID:	31217   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	archipelagowatertest2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	494.0 KB 
ID:	31218  
    Last edited by sarandosil; 12-02-2010 at 05:54 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm with ya on the middle one. Depending on your scale (these look like islands to me) you could add some tan to denote the beach areas and make it look like tropical islands.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yeah the middle one would be my choice, and Isecond Ascensions' comments (depending on your scale of course)...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

There's no particular scale to these, it's just generic land there to test out the different water effects. Good suggestion though.

Glad I'm not the only one who likes the middle one. Everyone I've showed this to in real life likes the third, for some reason, which I think is entirely too busy.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

People often like busy and cluttered things but the key to great art is not adding more and more stuff but getting rid of everything you can and keeping what's necessary.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think I actually like the 3rd one best but I also think it might be better with a little more blur or something so it's not quite as sharp. The 2nd one is good but I'm drawn to the possibilities of the 3rd.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt