Thread: Iso Regional Map

Wip Iso Regional Map

Hey everyone ^^ been a long time since I posted anything. Was wondering if I could get an oppinion of this map I'm working on. Its for a game I'm working on. 'Tis the world map.

Large size: http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...din/WIP1-1.png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	34479  
    Last edited by raejekii; 03-18-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Alright so I know that first one wasn't much for inspiring discussion, but maybe this will be.

Note: none of this uses anything other than what comes with photoshop. Also, I have discovered the history brush. Win.

Full size: http://raejekii.deviantart.com/art/W...nder-201738355
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP5-1.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	358.0 KB 
ID:	34524  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's very interesting. I'd really like to be able to zoom in more though
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

If you go to deviant art you can download the full version and zoom in on that ^^

Blog Entries

The dominant texture seems off, as if it's 'flat' to the viewer rather than in the plane of the surface. The orange area is better, but still feels slightly misaligned, and seems kind of blurry, as do parts of the mountains.

Overall the colours and textures don't convey 'terrain' to me. I can see water, forest, and mountain, but the rest may as well be 'alien fungus' to me. I think you may have gotten ahead of yourself in applying textures and effects without considering what the map is representing and how you want to get that across to the reader. Or I'm just not getting it.

The contrast is a problem too. It's really hard to tell what is meant to be representing the same terrain, and what is not. I'd suggest you tone down the texture and the saturation. The water in particular has a lot of 'noise' to it with a lot of internal contrast, but contrasts very poorly with the forest.

Sorry if I sound overly critical.

For the base of the map that was more of a template for what I wanted where, like the snow at the top, grass below, and such. I doubt that much will actually show through in the end.

And yeah, the desert is kind of blurry. That came about with me messing around really. Need to redo that ^^