Thread: Tanlindon - Definite WIP

Default Tanlindon - Definite WIP

Here is the basis I have created after returning home from a double surgery. I am not able to work as fast as I wish, but here is the basis.

The ring of mountains I am building around the deep cleft river are the remnants of an ancient volcano. A later earthquake cracked and split the ring to allow the river to pass through.

Hopefully, I'll get more work done, but since still in recovery (docs say two months considering me age), I may not get much more done in the coming weeks. However, I will try.

Thanks for any and all C&C.

rmfr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tanlindon014.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	4.59 MB 
ID:	31246  
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Well, this is as much as I could done before the pain killers make me too sleepy to continue this morning (for me still morning). Spent last night tracing rivers before pain killers knocked me out. Did some terrain making to follow how rivers flow. Still not finished with that though, but getting there.

Am using pasis's tutorial for base. Then I'll be using pyrandon's for the city.

Goodnight for a while...

rmfr

Name:	Tanlindon015.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	31248  

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good god, man - you're as obsessive about rivers as I am
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Whew..It looks good (although IMO it looked better without all of the rivers.) I'm looking forward to watching this progress
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Good god, man - you're as obsessive about rivers as I am
    Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Whew..It looks good (although IMO it looked better without all of the rivers.) I'm looking forward to watching this progress
    Yeah, that is a bad habit I picked up when I use to make maps by hand drawing. My philosophy then was, "Can't have too many rivers. Besides, if need be, I can erase or cover up some." Now that I am getting back into CAMing (Computer Assissted Mapping), it is something I still do. But I can erase some as I have been doing.

That old philosophy has now changed to, "Can't have too many rivers. Besides, it is fairly easy to just erase some."

And now for the funny thing, I just realized that I was working on the map rotated 180 degrees. Usually, I will use generated terrain models to base my maps. However, the pain killers numbed me mind enough that I did not realize I had not rotated the terrain model before working on the map.

Here is the latest I have been able to get done between pain killer stupors. A little less rivers, but I may need to still get rid of more of them. Need to just show the rivers. Not all the creeks and streams.

rmfr

Name:	TanlindonWIP.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	31279  

Well, I think I got the final weeding out of the rivers. But would like some C&C on how many rivers I have left.

I still have not decided on a scale yet, but was thinking either 1px = 1ft, or 1px = 2ft. Maybe even up to 1px = 5ft. What think y'all? Will accept and think about any thoughts.

The labels in white are what I call "Work Labels." They are labels to show me where I would like things to go. They are not absolutely definite, but close.

Now, I think I just need to get to work on roads, major buildings, city, harbors, etc.

Thanks for any and all C&C.

rmfr

Name:	TanlindonWIP2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	31289  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The main question is, "How much distance is this supposed to represent? 1 mile, 5 miles, 500 yards?" Once you know that then the rest is just math. Your image is 3999 X 3408. If this is 1 mile across then 1 ÷ 4000 = .00025 X 5280 = 1.32 feet per pixel so your creeks are all 4 feet wide from beginning to end. So at 1 pixel per foot your image would be just under a mile (3999 feet to be precise or just over 3/4 of a mile). A standard 10-foot thick wall being 10 pixels is easy to remember but your islands and creeks need work. At 5 feet per pixel your huts are all just little dots and houses are bigger dots and standard walls are 2 pixels wide and roads are 2-4 pixels wide. I like the 1 foot scale myself but as you start placing things you might have to rework some of the mountain thingies as well as creeks and islands. I guess just start plopping things down and see how it looks.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps