Thread: Elynulst

Default Elynulst

A map I've been working on for a couple of days. There's no real story behind this, just for fun & practise. I based the general landscape of this map on the northmost of the Shetlandislands and a part of the one closest (Unst & Yell, hence the name Elynulst, which is an anagram). I wanted some practise with realistic height differences, and this seemed like a good idea to get it. The coastline, hills, rivers and most lakes are based on the original islands. The rest was filled in by me. (The original islands have virtually no forest, and just grasslands seemed like too little variation for me).

I've tried a new method to create the villages. Although not entirely realistic, I feel like they fit in with the rest of the map. Tell me what you think.

Also a little warning: it's a very big map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Elynulst 2.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	3.97 MB 
ID:	31255  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I really like the colors - the sand-colored text really fits well, the muted greens and browns blend nicely and the ocean blues are nice, too. The land itself looks a lil bumpy with all that roughness so maybe if you could throw some solid color over some places to denote plains or something, shrug, I dunno just something to smooth things out a bit. The forests could stand to be a lil darker and muted like the land colors. The towns get lost in the roughness of the land so maybe a gray or brown or terra cotta color there instead of the sand color. This sounds like a lot of nitpicking and, yes, I suppose so, but I really do like what you have going on here...just some tweaks is all I'm suggesting. If you left it like this forever because you like it this way then I'd say "Good enough for me" Know that I just might be taking this and doing something of my own down the line cuz I really like your colors and some of that roughness.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks . I think I'll keep this map as it is (for now ), but I will certainly keep your advice in mind for the next one. Thanks for taking the time to look at it and critique.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Beautiful !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Nice map, I like the little cities you made. I'll have to try that myself.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Really nice map and great bit of work. Thanks for sharing !