Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Map for a New Campaign

So what does the thumbnailer blow out at? The post #5 in my thread is bigger than this last one so I'm confused.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Another update - The biggest change is to the forest. I wasn't sure I liked the last one. This seems to have the right amount of weight now. Hopefully, the thumb can get this, I reduced the image by 50%.

I have some borders in the works but awaiting approval.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baseWIP.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	31435  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The forests feel foresty now. Why do some of the mtns have that orangeish color tinge and others don't?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

turns out it was a burn effect. I'll have the corrected in the next update.

Fixed the discoloration on mountains. Also, have some borders down for provinces as well as the Empire per indications from the client. I know at least one of these is going to be changed but I haven't heard which one yet. The dotted lines are province and the dash-dot is for the Empire.

Views:	82 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	31450  

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    So what does the thumbnailer blow out at? The post #5 in my thread is bigger than this last one so I'm confused.
    I'm confused, too. The system seems to think you DO have a thumbnail for that one, it just isn't showing.....Not sure what I can do to fix

-Rob A>

I wouldn't worry about it RobA at this point. I'm long past that thumb anyway. And here's another update. I messed around with a bunch of colors and started flattening the layers together. Man that can be a bear. When layer modes are not the same they don't always like to merge nicely. Anyone got a trick to this? I know when you flatten the entire image it looks just the way it should. Merging them one by one, not so much.

Views:	94 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	31456  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Anyone got a trick to this? I know when you flatten the entire image it looks just the way it should. Merging them one by one, not so much.
    There's no general way to merge two layers with different blending modes that are both affecting a third layer beneath them without the end result changing. Come to think of it, if they have the same mode it still isn't assured. So, in general, you can't safely merge if there are layers underneath those being merged. If you want to merge two at a time, you have to merge from the bottom.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Like HE says, I merge starting from the bottom up - anything that you can't merge to the background is going to be a problem. If I can merge layers to the background then I link them all together then merge them. This part works fine. It's the merging of layers between other layers not to be merged or flattened to the background that is the problem. What I do for this is to make an empty layer under a layer I want to eventually merge, link them and merge these two together. Merging to an empty layer sometimes preserves the blend mode and sometimes it doesn't (I never experimented with what blend modes get preserved with what colors 'cuz that would take a while). Anyway, if it doesn't take then I undo the merging and move up the the next layer. I repeat this for as many layers as I'm going to merge. Once that's done I link these to-be merged layers together and then merge them. The linking seems to help most of the time. One trick I haven't tried, but just thought of, is instead of merging to an empty layer merge to a 50% gray layer (not 50% opacity but true neutral gray hex code 808080 or RGB 128, 128, 128 ) and once merged set it to overlay (effectively removes the gray). I'm sure that there are many instances where this won't work but maybe it will work in those places where an empty layer doesn't.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast