Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: December Entry: Kazh - Homeworld of the Klarr

I have all of my previously existing cities in place. More or less where they were before. Changes in position or state were predicated either by the slightly altered geography or by my evolving ideas about this planet and its cultures. I'm being somewhat conservative due to time constraints. For example, I'm considering, as part of the conworlding project, altering Valkam into the capital of an independent kingdom. For now, I'm ignoring such things as the balkanization of the main continent. I'm also considering moving most of the big cities on the northwest continent to the northern lobes of the main continent. Again, that's for the new year!

Next I need to label known hydrographic and geographical features and then add more cities and such. River labeling will be particularly miserable because of the way Saga generated the channel vectors. Thousands of independent short segments. I love ArcScan!

Please, oh god, please, don't lock down till the ball drops in Fiji.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kazh.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	31894
    Last edited by su_liam; 12-30-2010 at 01:53 PM.

Default Next Step Photoshop and Illustrator!!!

I think I have all the cities and labels I'm going to manage before this comp closes. Now I need to export all of this to Illustrator and see if I can make the labels suck a bit less. Wish me luck!

With so many layers up on ArcMap and Saga running in the background, my computer is starting to get a bit balky.

Apparently, I can't get my WIP to load!

EDIT: Second try on my Mac with a cropped and PS optimized version.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	KazhSmCropped.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	652.3 KB 
ID:	31895

Success!
    Last edited by su_liam; 12-30-2010 at 03:17 PM.

This is probably the best I can do with the existing text. The ArcMap export to Illustrator does something very similar to my first idea for text highlighting, which is an approach that doesn't take well to editing.

I've moved the general text labels around and rotated them to better fit the landforms and such. The text is surprisingly large, now that I'm not looking at it in Windows. I don't know why, but my display isn't nearly as attractive in Windows as Mac. Probably some setting I have down perfect on my Mac and haven't yet figgered out how to do in Windows. Given time, I'd completely revamp the labels, but time is something I don't have at the moment.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	KazhEdit[textrot].jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	31902

Nice! You are such a numbers cruncher. I feel like a kid with crayons when I read what you go through.

Crayons or not I still have my PC chuggin like a Big-Ol-Dog when I try to do anything on my main .xcf now. I've taken to flattening the layers and starting a new one for working on labels. Digital art is a hog but it's such a cute little piggy when it grins up at you!

PS. Be sure to check my entry out on your Mac in that case
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-30-2010 at 06:14 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Xperemiante is very attractive. Mac or no... Actually, this comp has produced quite a few very attractive maps. Cute little piggies.

I've been pushing my number-cruncher so hard that I went out of my way to get temperature monitoring and fan control software. I've figured out that my power supply produces a lot of heat in sensitive places(near the processor, not... not... anyway...), so I sometimes unplug my computer and carefully watch the battery status when things get involved. The battery produces heat, but it's far from the important parts.

I'm loving my current planet. A bit of painting, a bit of blurring a lot of time-consuming erosion. Rinse and repeat. Took me about three days and my wrist took a week to recover, but hey...

Even if, as seems likely, my entry doesn't earn any votes(I'm considering voting for myself, but it's hard to decide), I still have a kick-ass elevation map and I've learned enough about my tools that I think I could build a climate model rivaling that in FT Pro given some time.

Not too bad for less than a month's "work" by one lazy guy.

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    build a climate model rivaling that in FT Pro
    Not that hard at all, honestly... It only took a couple of days way back when and most of that was doing the UI. Doing a better job that in FT Pro should be your goal.

I made a dog's breakfast of a precipiton erosion algorithm. To the point where I just had to give up. I'm starting as simple as possible.

This may be my last post on this. Happy New Year, folks.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	KazhEdit-[Converted].jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	31926

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234