Thread: Landkarte von Azeroth [WIP]

Default Landkarte von Azeroth [WIP]

Hello,

I'm new to this Forum and new to the high Art of Cartography,... Its not my first Map I do in Photoshop but the first one I would like to show and request some advise!
    Maybe you guys (and Girls?) are bored about the topic of my map but its a Map of Azeroth,... the World of Warcraft,...

I can show you some different stages of this map so you can see some changes from step to step of evolving it,...

http://www.videorealism.de/Zwischenschritt01.jpg - a very early version - just set some colours by random so to speak

http://www.videorealism.de/Zwischenschritt02.jpg - its the second stage saved for decumentation,... I will add the thin waterlines again as soon as I finished the shape of the continents the decorations around where introduced

http://www.videorealism.de/Zwischenschritt03.jpg - the next one,... a bit darker,... without blue,... but I added the Coordinates,... and some lables,...

http://www.videorealism.de/Zwischenschritt04.jpg - the latest one (for now); water is blue again but Im not sure about it,...

Well, the Map is supposed to be 140 cm to 100 cm,... I created it in Photoshop with 300dpi and 16bit per colour,... Now its up to you: rate it, critiques are welcome,... but I wish some advise the most^^

so long,...
    PH!L

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only advice I have is for you to make the rivers connect to the ocean. Other than that this is really nice so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm probably the only person in the world that doesn't have WoW experience but the map looks really cool..Keep up the good work ..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You're not the only one JT. If I remember rightly most of our active posters have no experience with it. I wonder what that says about us...or them. Probably that we're more of the dreamers and they're more of the participants in someone else's dream. But more likely it's an age thing. Most of our senior members are middle age and up and, while I can't speak for all of us, many of us just don't get into the MMOs as we were raised on paper and pencil worlds in the 70s and 80s and we were driving when Nintendo came out so it never really ensnared us as we were out cruising for chicks. Sorry for rambling, back to the thread.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I believe there is truth to what ascension has said. I was 6 when I was introduced to the first NES. Been playing video games ever since, though my time to play grows more and more limited. I had friends that played video games and tabletop rpgs. I regret that I didnt get into it as a lad, however, I did really get into Magic: The Gathering.

Anyway, I finally kicked my WoW habit about a year ago. I never realized how many river violations Azeroth had. I like what you have done with the colors and the border. Do you plan on putting borders and/or terrain textures on the land masses?
    Last edited by Slylok; 12-09-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hiho,

Yes Im up to both! I started to draw the Borders but my PS crashed,... until now I didnt start again,... some Days ago ne latest expansion was released, Cathaclysm, and Im going to add some of the changes,... some more Lands aso,...

Blizzard will have to watch their backs lest they be smacked in the head by the vicious riverpolice

But I guess they can be excused, since the different areas are meant to be fun and playable and all that, and most people simply don't CARE about what is right
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Im gonna have to stay away from this thread lest i be tempted to reopen my account for the fourth time...must...resist...
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson