Thread: Relevance?

Default Relevance?

Hi folks

I'm a designer/illustrator working out of Glasgow, Scotland.

I'm looking to develop to map-based graphic artwork and was hoping to pick some brains here.

I've found this world map (below) which is from 1612 apparently. My question is regarding the numbers around the circumference; they're not still relevant by todays standards, but is there anyway that I could use this format of map, while updating the longitude/latitude to be accurate for modern standards?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    J

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

We do this kind of thing all of the time and I can't think of anyone who has used erroneous numbers on purpose to simulate a "lack of knowledge because it's so old and they had things wrong back then so I have to make my map wrong as well". We always use the most up-to-date knowledge to make our maps modernly accurate but look as old and primitive as possible Human nature I guess. So post it up and I'm sure someone will be along to point out any errors but in a friendly way (we're not much into the old "I'm smarter than you" kind of thing here). These old-looking maps are very popular for folks to hang on walls and put into fancy frames so try it put and if you get stuck we'll be here to help.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I can't read the numbers but I suspect they are correct. As far as I can tell, the longitude and latitude lines depict an azimuthal equidistant equatorial projection, also known as a stereographic projection http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereographic_projection

The map might be made up inplaces, due to lack of knowledge or bad surveying, but the grid is valid. I've used it on a couple of maps.
    -Rob A>

Thanks guys. Rob, here's a closer view of the numbers along the top (which are mirrored at the bottom)

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I can't read the numbers but I suspect they are correct. As far as I can tell, the longitude and latitude lines depict an azimuthal equidistant equatorial projection, also known as a stereographic projection http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereographic_projection

The map might be made up inplaces, due to lack of knowledge or bad surveying, but the grid is valid. I've used it on a couple of maps.
    -Rob A>

The latitude and longitude lines used today are depicted as 15 degrees apart. so, instead of having the numbers labeled by 10s you would label them by 15. Also the the Prime Meridian is set at 0 degrees and instead of labeling them by 10s up to 360 it is labeled by 15s up to 180 in each direction. It also labels the tropics and the arctic/antarctic circles at 23 1/2 and 66 1/2 degrees respectively.

Its difficult for me to explain, but this picture may make it more understandable http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-map...longitude.html
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Excellent, thanks Slylok. Once i've begun pulling the designs together, i'll post them up so you guys ca give them the once over.

Thanks again!

Blog Entries

Those numbers are correct. What you have there is a pair of equatorial aspect stereographic azimuthal projections (At least I'm pretty sure that's what it is.)

Now the placement of the features on the maps is obviously not particularly accurate as it's off by thousands of kilometres, but for a map of that scale, the coordinates mean exactly the same thing on that map as they do on a modern one. You have to be dealing with a much larger scale before you have to worry about differences in the datum.

Put another way, the people back then may not have had a very good idea of what shape North America was, but their idea of what 45° North means, was very very close to what ours is and the differences wouldn't be remotely visible on a map of the whole world regardless of the projection.