Thread: The Kingdom Of Shendenflar Boxed Set ?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Kingdom Of Shendenflar Boxed Set ?

I have for sometime now had the idea that it might be neat to "bundle" up everything I have created for my Kingdom of Shendenflar campaign setting into a sort of "boxed set". Obviously this would be a MAJOR undertaking as the vast majority of everything is hand written and hand drawn as well as there is still huge amounts of detail and description still to be done. I'm not sure of the "legality" of this however due to the fact that Shendenflar is based in the World of Greyhawk setting. (I should say that I'm not looking to sell it commercially or anything like that) I would just like to make it available for people to use if they wish. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

So. Paizo, for instance, has a "community use" license which would allow you to create an "insert" for a published campaign setting as you have done with Shendenflar and provide it to people (free of charge) in the way you plan. I do not think that Wizards has anything similar so, technically, you couldn't really do that as you don't specifically have the right to use their IP...even to the extent of saying "Shendenflar is set in the World of Greyhawk between the x and the y..." In truth, however, you could probably pull it all together and post it somewhere and not sweat it until you got a C&D letter from their lawyers - *probably* never, unless they decide to re-publish Greyhawk and get all jiggy about everything.

I am not a lawyer. They might just the same decide to sue the pants off of you...so take my comments with that in mind.
    M

Blog Entries

Hmm..good points I hadn't really even thought about the fact that I'm very possibly violating some sort of IP agreement by even placing Shendenflar in the WoG...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Didn't mean to rain on your parade at all. Technically they could certainly ask you to stop using their IP. Realistically? I doubt they're going to care unless they perceive you as a threat to their business or the quality of their brand. Again, of course, IANAL.
    M

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I am sure that there is a fanbased site for Greyhawk somewhere... Try finding that and post your intentions there. I am equally sure that WotC would be monitering it and they may try cutting you off at the pass. This way they would be helping you figure out just what you CAN, and can't do with your project.

Another thing to think about is just how much referencing to the Greyhawk world you actually have in your work. If it is mostly inferred references, maybe it wouldn't be too hard to change the direct referenceing to infered and then I think that it would be okay to publish. But like mearin69 said, "I am not a layer".

Good luck with it.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mearrin69 View Post
    Didn't mean to rain on your parade at all. Technically they could certainly ask you to stop using their IP. Realistically? I doubt they're going to care unless they perceive you as a threat to their business or the quality of their brand. Again, of course, IANAL.
    M
    Hmm..I certainly don't see Shendenflar as the "tipping point " for WotC or Hasbro..

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    I am sure that there is a fanbased site for Greyhawk somewhere... Try finding that and post your intentions there. I am equally sure that WotC would be monitering it and they may try cutting you off at the pass. This way they would be helping you figure out just what you CAN, and can't do with your project.

Another thing to think about is just how much referencing to the Greyhawk world you actually have in your work. If it is mostly inferred references, maybe it wouldn't be too hard to change the direct referenceing to infered and then I think that it would be okay to publish. But like mearin69 said, "I am not a layer".

Good luck with it.
    There isn't a lot of Greyhawk refrence in the setting aside from it's geographic location and political allies and enemys (all of which are Greyhawk setting regulars..)

Finished Maps

You could also just go over and ask them directly if it would be ok to offer it freely. Then at least you wouldn't have any questions left.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt