Thread: December Entry: Garden

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post December Entry: Garden [WITHDRAWN]

Well, I'm not too certain about the name, but I keep coming back to Gaidan, or Garden. For now, that's working for me.

I'm going for a somewhat simple atlas style with this one with a few little extra things that I want to try. The world itself is relatively far along, probably extremely late Earth-1800's... ish. The continent on the bottom right of the map will be mongolian-esque, what with nomads, horses, wolves... that sort of thing. The middle continent, as you can see, is inspired by the Americas.

The attached file is actually only half the size of the full piece. It's actually 8400x4000 pixels. I've resized it to 4200x2000 here, and it's at 95% quality (100% bumped it from 3MB to 6MB, roughly).

On the list of coming up to-dos are rivers, which I can't do without mountains, and I'm still trying to figure out how I want to do the mountains on the main continents. Anyway, enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smalldec2010map.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	31304  
    Last edited by VincentAlliath; 12-22-2010 at 02:46 AM.

I've done mountains and rivers (they're kinda low quality in this version, but I didn't feel like making thicker versions of each one just yet. Rest assured, the final version that I put up here WILL have nice rivers.

On the up-and-coming to do list: outlines of my major civilisation, my minor countries, and other little island nations.

After that, I can get started on settlement locations, HOORAY! Following that, road and trade paths are likely to come.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	60 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	31311  
    Last edited by VincentAlliath; 12-09-2010 at 09:25 AM.

I've done borders for the continents themselves... They're placeholders for now until I find something that looks okay. The medium colour borders (on the red continent, blue continent, and green continent) are regions, like separate states. They kinda distract from the land routes, so I might put a nice glow around them or something. That's something for the final touch-ups, though.

Settlements and routes have been done for the red continent now, and I'm actually extremely happy with how the routes translated to the low-res version of the map.

To-do next: settlements and routes on the blue continent.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	78 
Size:	2.81 MB 
ID:	31318  

I've done all the settlements and routes for the blue continent now.

Next stop is the green continent.

Views:	81 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	31386  

Really nice looking colour choices, Vince. It's probably just me, but the landmass shapes seem a little horizontally stretched? I do like that embossed town symbol vibe - never seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Really nice looking colour choices, Vince. It's probably just me, but the landmass shapes seem a little horizontally stretched? I do like that embossed town symbol vibe - never seen it before.
    Thanks guys. And the town symbols are simple work. Using the paintbrush tool in gimp, make a dot. Alpha to Selection on the layer and delete (it'll leave a little grey fading ring). Copy Visible and copy in. Bump Map it.

On the cities, I plan on adding a handle so it looks like a magnifying glass. I'm just THAT cool. (h)

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very Nice !! (man did I pick the wrong challenge to get into.. )
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Haven't had time for this, lately. Might finish it another time. Might now.