Thread: Thumbnail Issues????

Post Thumbnail Issues????

I've noticed in a few threads (primarily in the Challenge Sub-forum) that some of the thumbnail images appear to be broken. Just uploaded an update to my entry and at the end of the upload, I got a Question Mark icon instead of the thumbnail image. Clicking on the text for the thumbnail does lead to the image, but thought I'd mention it here just in case it is an issue that needs to be addressed.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I've had that. My second WIP came up with an image. The others remained text, though.

My third WIP also got the question mark at the end of uploading it, and I had to re-upload.

It seems like it's 50/50 for me and this has been going on for a long while now. Recently I've been getting an 'invalid file' message using the uploader. I just try again and usually it goes though but sometimes it takes a few rounds.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I've found it seems to help if I upload the image with a new filename. Either that I've just gotten lucky each time I've tried an alternate filename

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

That issue is not new. Sometimes it works when I load up the file a second time, sometimes not.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

When this happens to me I resave the image, delete the image from the thread, and reup. Bit of a pain but it's been like that since we moved to the new software earlier this year. Using the old file manager system (it's under preferences) was supposed to prevent this from happening but it doesn't.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

If the image is not there then you do a full refresh (ctrl F5 in firefox) and then it appears then its a problem with the web server or the networking to it. If the image never appears then its likely not there or broken.

If this is a thumbnail as part of the scraper script for the challenge then it should be there but some of the recent ones have been multi page PDF's which cause it problems. If its a single page PDF then it should be ok. When I kick off a scrape update I check that the images have been done properly but the script can fail quite often so if a CL does not check the images then it may leave them in a broken state. Best to PM me if that is the case.

If this is attachments as part of the vBulletin forum software then I am getting those issues too. RobA suggested I try the non AJAX uploader - thats the simple type one. You can set that by going into your settings and selecting the advanced or simple attachment uploader. I find that helped for me to use the simple one. I think there is a problem in the vBulletin software around this area.

No worries then. As I said, I could click on the "text" attachment and it led to the full image without any problems. Just thought I'd mention it in case it was a new issue that needed to be looked into. I've not had any problems uploading other than timing out with my terrible connection speed, but that, or so I hope, should be solved soon as well.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

If you upload and there is a text "thumbnail" that work linking to a large image, just leave it. I am manually running the thumbnail rebuild script for attachments having missing thumbnails every few days.

Until VBulletin can issue a fix.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I am manually running the thumbnail rebuild script for attachments having missing thumbnails every few days. -Rob A>
    I knew it was just miraculously getting fixed somehow...you are like our own little clock gnome running around in the background keeping the gears greased and replacing as necessary. Three cheers for RobA!! <---Hey, that gives me an idea. Off to enter a new challenge concept.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt