Thread: [WIP] Experimental Map

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Wip [WIP] Experimental Map

Hi, I'm new to both the forums and cartography. I've been a longtime lurker but recently got into making maps of my own. After going through the tutorials, I've come up with this regional map. I appreciate any comments and tips on improving it. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CurrentWIP.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	927.1 KB 
ID:	31323  
    Last edited by Crimson-Ladybug; 12-10-2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Spelling Errors

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good except the forests. I'd try removing the bevel and just make them darker, maybe with a texture or pattern as well. Usually, I just make mine as a bunch of tiny dark green dots clustered together.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Thank You

Thanks for the tips, here's a new version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CurrentWIP2.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	997.9 KB 
ID:	31410  

Blog Entries

The mountains overlapping the forests really doesn't look right. I can't say I particularly care for the fractal noise bump map either, something more subtle may work better.

Guild Apprentice

I think the problem here is that the map looks layered. The mountains and forests seem like leaves placed over a flat map. What makes a good map is a sense of depth. Blend the layers more. Make them flow into another and look natural. There are a few good tutorials you can check out in the tutorials section as well, if you are into that kind of thing