Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: December entry: Untitled so far

Blog Entries

I know the project has exceeded the scope of time available to complete it, but if you continue, you may want to add the border beveling on the bottom of the map to the list of things to address. My hat is off to you fors being the bravest and most aggressive experimentalist among us.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

I should add that of all the entries, and I mean no disrespect to any of them, this is the one I most wanted to see finished. I do hope you will carry on with it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm not sure how I want to proceed, really. I don't know if I want to do the full-on Googleishness (I'm not a real big fan but it is recognizable) or if I want to try something that I originally wanted to - something kinda spacey where if you were in a spaceship and you were probing this planet what sort of info would you get. Like metal concentrations, animal types and concentration, atmosphere levels, etc. It's something I want to try but I don't even know where to begin with representing that on a map like this. I could do it with other styles easily but I want to try to get everything in on here. Heck, I don't even really know what sort of info to include - maybe the space guys could help me out there 'cuz that's not my area of expertise.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Steve Jackson games has some great source books on building worlds and in Gurps Space they explain a lot about planet building. While you might not understand everything on their worksheet it has to go a long way in helping you determine useful information to include. There is a free download from their website for a Planetary record and Worksheet. I would suggest at least going to the end pages where they have blank sheets to draw your own maps and stuff. Eventually, I plan to put some maps together along these lines myself. I also have the source books so if you have any issues that don't make sense I would be willing to look it up and answer without giving away anything proprietary.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 01-01-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Another great resource is Megatraveller's "World Builder's Handbook".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123