Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: December entry: Untitled so far

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Default December entry: Untitled so far

I've got a bunch of new ideas and this is a perfect opportunity for me to try them out before I forget. So far I've just got the base terrain done; still have to tweak the climates, colors, textures and pattern stuff I'll be using in small accents, and put in rivers. Oh and labels, graphics, and frame of course. This is a half-size image and a lot of my detail has been lost but c'est la vie.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dec10 chal.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	3.36 MB 
ID:	31324  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like a good start... always enjoy watching your stuff progress.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm with Steel on this, I'm excited to see how this comes along.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wish I had the gumption to enter this, but my mapping mojo has all but disappeared - still struggling to finish that city map I started 6 months ago.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Ascension maps are always excellent.

I took the liberty of looking at your poles with Flexify.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ascensionPoles.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	31396

They probably don't fit too well when wrapped to a globe but in order to make them fit properly I'd have huge chunks of empty white at the top and bottom and less area for pretty landmasses I'd also have to distort the shapes of the landmasses further away from the equator and I'm just too lazy for that
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Definitely an Ascension special but with a slightly different riff. Coastlines look a lot wrigglier and the mountains look good enough to eat. I love that undersea valley thing you have going there too (is that difficult to do?). The thing I really love the most about your small scale maps is that the landmasses just look so BIG. I think it's because they just have a huge amount of detail in them, bit it really feels like thousands of miles from one end to the other.

Yeah, I do the big thing on purpose...gives me more room and flexibility for ideas, monsters, clans, kingdoms, stories - if ever decided to get serious and sit down and write one. The bathymetry was really time-consuming but I've been thinking about it for a long time (I've been wanting to learn how to do the Mid-Atlantic Ridge thing for quite some time). So what I did was actually plan out some tectonic plates, which I never do but at least my mountains now have a real basis for being where they are, and then using selections I made a couple of rough rings and then, again using the selections, I made some paths that I stroked with a variation of my roof thatch brush (a really big one with 1000 spacing) for each plate (so that the lines don't overlap into other plates thus creating a bit of an offset), then I duplicated this layer many times and blurred them all in a progressing size from 1 to 10, reduced opacity, merged, some black airbrushing over the lighter clouds to create deep spots and white around the coasts, lighting effects, and kept the original merged layer and applied a bevel to it (which still needs a bit of work but it's a start). Looking at this first image is kind of embarrassing since my current screenie looks so much different, and I hope, better. Climate zones done, random color splotches, forests, and now starting on rivers. This is a full size screenie of just one continent but uploading a smaller version to fit here loses a lot of the detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	31421  

I'll second that, it looks great so far and I can't wait to see the finished product.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast