Thread: Howdy!

Default Howdy!

I'm honestly not sure I'm even allowed to join this forum. I am in no way a map maker/cartographer and joined this site as a resource for myself as a Game Master of various Role Playing Games. I'm assuming that anything in the Gallery is okay to print unless otherwise stated. Yes?

The simple fact is that I've never had any talent as an artist. In my one and only art class in high school (many years ago now) I was consistantly the worst artist in class. To make this situation worse I come from a family with several decent artists (including a couple who make their living at it.)

When it comes to maps in particular, I can get the basic point across but that is it. I just do quick maps in pencil or pen. The only art program my computer has is generic Paint and I'm even bad at that (think lines and squares to represent a town.)

So when I started planning a new D&D Campaign for the first time in many years I went on the web to look for resources and stumbled across this sight. I was blown away by all the amazing maps you guys make. I would kill for a 10th of the talent that most of you have. But in the mean time, assuming its okay, I plan on borrowing from you all.

Thanks for all your hard work and talent!!!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome!! I can't speak for anyone else but as far as my stuff goes borrow away and don't sell your self short give it a try were all here to help..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate2099 View Post
    I'm honestly not sure I'm even allowed to join this forum. I am in no way a map maker/cartographer and joined this site as a resource for myself as a Game Master of various Role Playing Games. I'm assuming that anything in the Gallery is okay to print unless otherwise stated. Yes?

The simple fact is that I've never had any talent as an artist. In my one and only art class in high school (many years ago now) I was consistantly the worst artist in class. To make this situation worse I come from a family with several decent artists (including a couple who make their living at it.)
    Most of us put our stuff here so that others can use it. So, take the apple and take a big bite out of it.

However, with the free and commercial cartographic software that's available today, anyone and everyone can be a map maker/cartographer. You just haven't given it a good try yet. You certainly don't have to be an artist to make good RPG maps on a computer!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

^ What they said!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave