Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greyhawk: Atlas of the Flanaess

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Greyhawk: Atlas of the Flanaess

Hi Everyone

I’m making this post to show you what I’m currently working on. Right now it’s the plains of Furyondy and the Evil Horned Lands. Only a rough rendering of the new parts yet, and not even finished with rendering.
    So I’ll try and put new screens to show my progress.

//Anna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46prev.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	1889  

Post Its nice to see the methodology!

That's great Anna! Being a fan of your work - having printed a dozen or so of your map for my clients, I've seen them up close on paper, all the more impressive let me say.

I'd never have thought you did this in patches - its nice to really see the methodology. Though still beyond my capability!

Great work.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Anna, this looks very cool. Theres lots of little squares of bits of map at the edges. Do I take it that this is a very high res map that your putting together in sections ? If that is true then how do you get consistency between the bits. Do the grid lines indicate that its all georeffed too ? Do you have any tech details about this map - like what are you using to make it ?

Hi
    Here are some insights into how I made this map.

To construct the terrain I use Bryce 5.5. In order to achieve the detail I want of an area this big the terrain must be made of small pieces. Picture 1 (Bryce1.jpg) shows my Atlas terrain made up of 435 pieces with 751 115 943 polygons! The second picture shows the detail of a terrain piece (Bryce2.jpg)

To render it in the resolution I need I have to zoom in and render it in parts, each 2400 x 1450 pixels, so far I have made 516 renderings.

I use Corel PhotoPaint to put the rendered pieces together exactly as you guessed Redrobes. I adjust each piece manually and then do a lot of touch up work to improve the looks. My terrain file is 28 550 x 22 440 pixels and is 2.05 GB in size

To make my final maps I use CorelDraw to add symbols, text heraldry etc.

To be able to work like this I use a really fast computer with 4GB RAM, and a desktop resolution of 2560 x 1600 on a 30” monitor. So far I’ve been able to upgrade my hardware to match my progress. My planned investment is to move to 64bit Vista to be able to use more RAM, and a faster QuadCore CPU.

//Anna
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bryce1.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	450.0 KB 
ID:	1894   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bryce2.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	363.6 KB 
ID:	1895  

Blog Entries

This is fascinating and it seems we share a great deal of ideas here.

So you get your basic consistency through using Bryce and rendering the terrain with a similar texture set. I am guessing then that you must model the terrain by hand based on some reference maps.

Your final size of 28Kx22K must be close to the limit of what your able to work with. My experience is that even if you had unlimited ram the basic image file formats tend to break down at about the 32K. My PSP start dying at 14K so its of limited use at these resolutions. Im guessing that you must have to turn off any undo buffers or any layer controls.

I am an admin on the Me-Dem site :- "www.me-dem.org". Were making a map of middle earth at an extrordinary resolution. I think the plan is 160K x 160K. Its nuts actually and we might not be able to go quite that high but thats the current plan. I am attaching an image of our base map which is also 3D contoured set. Its 10x10 tiles of 2048x2048 so its of similar size. This is the base DEM because it gets chopped into 256x256 tiles and then procedurally boosted up to 2048 each tile.

Most of us are running 64 bit XP and I am unusual in that I have a mere dual core as most of the others have quaddies. I would recommend getting 64 bit but you need to check if your apps are available in 64 bit or else it does make much difference.

One thing I must also ask. On another forum there was a chap putting together a new machine and thinking of getting 4Gb for XP 32 bit. I was very skeptical that you could get 4Gb out of it. Tell me, if you right click on My Computer and properties, what RAM does it tell you that you have installed. How much of your 4Gb do you think you have access to ?

Is your map an open shared thing or a commercial type ? The Me-Dem is open. I think the general rule is that if you register on the site then you can download the work in progress. You can get that 20K middle earth if you want it. If your map is open then I can suggest some more chewy stuff to help you out on it - especially if you find that your machine is practiucally dying under the load of it.

You map is very cool. Mucho kudos !

Wow, that is cool!

And what you do at www.me-dem.org is what I’m aiming for with my work. So far I have reached the treetops and you are on your way to the stars Great to see what some combined effort can accomplish, I’m a solo effort so far.

My machine has 3GB of physically addressable RAM, which max for a 32bit OS, and yes it is straining under the load. I mask of all the parts I’m not working under and it helps a lot. I think Corel uses memory more efficient, but it’s just a hunch, not a fact. Vista 32bit is in fact better than XP 32bit in handling my large files. Hopefully Vista 64bit with 8GB of RAM will be a lot better.

Your projects with ViewinDale and GeoTerSys looks really interesting. Your samples of Middle-Earth are certainly the most inspiring things I have seen on the net so far, and I have seen a lot!

My plan is to make a Flanaess Atlas using this technique and refine it as much as I can without having to remake the old parts, it will probably take 2 years or so. Then I’ll try and continue my work on Greyhawk with whatever improvements in software and knowledge there is.

There are cities and underdark and so much more to map and illustrate……

Thanks to you Game-Printer I now know that my maps are used :-)

Anna

Guild Journeyer

Hi Anna.

love your work! So much interesting detail. It will be a fantastic accomplishment when you're done. I didn't know anything about the Living Greyhawk campaign, but your maps are very immersive.

Great stuff!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

After seeing the other maps, I'm sure this one will turn out just as awesome...so I don't really have anything to add other than keep up the good work and whatever you do I'm sure it will skip straight to the taking of names part as by default it already kicks.

Here is the initial version of my Naerie map.

http://ghmaps.net/maps/Naerie_v1.jpg

Remember that it hasn’t passed the rigorous peer review by the Greyhawk experts at Canonfire.
    I also want or all you mapping (and some GH ) experts here at Cartographers Guild to scrutinize it as well.

PS. I can't get the upload picture to function at work so you have to live with a link for now. DS.
    //Anna

Post Naerie map version 2

Here is an updated version that I've been able to upload.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Naerie_v2.pdf  
    //Anna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast