Thread: Another old school gamer looking for some mapping aids

Guild Applicant

Post Another old school gamer looking for some mapping aids

Hello and thanks for making this site available. I have joined up because I am interested in using my computer to draw some maps for use in a longstanding 2ed. AD&D campaign. I have typically used large graph paper to draw my maps and a battle map for use on game night. Any suggestions for good and reliable mapping software is appreciated. I am not a techie, so if it is too complicated then I won't understand how to use it. Thanks for your support.
    Marklin

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to another 2ed gamer!! I use GIMP as a graphics tool and it's very simple to use I suggest you give it a try and don't be afraid to ask questions
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

And take a look through the tutorials forum. There are quite a few tutorials for the Gimp that cover a variety of styles and scales. No need to try to learn the software on your own when there's plenty of help!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

If you're just starting out and want a single piece of software (and are prepared to pay about circa US $100 for it) which has an easy learning curve (no techie knowledge required) and can deliver stunning results, I'd recommend Serif Drawplus X4, or Xara Extreme. You can download an earlier version of Drawplus free from their website and have a play. That said, Gimp and Inkscape are free (and very well supported) - and it's hard to beat free although both Gimp and Inkscape require some time investment and slight techie knowledge.

Guild Journeyer MadCartographer's Avatar

I'd also suggest checking out ProFantasy, software is not expensive, around 45.00 or so. Address is: http://www.profantasy.com/default.asp

There are also lots of tut's on UTube.

Enjoy, oh and welcome!
    _________
    User of:
    CC2 & CC3, FT Pro Exclusively.
    If it's ProFantasy, I'm using it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave