Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RPG Epic Encounter Maps by The Red Epic

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Map RPG Epic Encounter Maps by The Red Epic

Hey All,

SO i have decided to put together a 8.5"x 11" book of map encounters that i will get published, and hopefully will sell well at the Next Gen con. There will be 24 full color encounter maps of different locations and settings, and i'm toying around with including a couple 1x1 inch gridded battlemaps as well, (double page spread to fit).

The whole idea being that a DM could buy this book (im toying around with 20-25$ resale), and have a whole range of different nicely rendered encounter maps at their fingertips to draw inspiration and/or incorporate into his/her adventure that they are running. I have heard that the encounter maps i have done for Paizo and Wizards in this same style are enjoyed very much, so i thought this would be a useful tool to those DMs that want good maps and/or story seeds to use.

I will be updating this as i finish them, so please leave ideas, comments, and suggestions, i would really appreciate it! Thanks!

PRINTS FOR SALE: Get them while they are hot guys, Epic Cartography maps are on my FB Group page with prices and descriptions!
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...50445191695492

SHOOT me an Email or PM for prints. They are all printed, cute, laminated, numbered and signed by me Maps go from 8$-15$ apiece + shipping. Let me know

#7 The Iron Mountain
    The Dwarves in the high pass have suddenly ceased sending arms and supplies down the long and winding mountain road. Rumors abound that something has gone wrong, and the once prolific sounds of hammer and anvil have ceased drifting down into the valley below, replaced by an ominous silence. As the PC's approach, there are none there to greet them, and all seems quiet. Once inside, it has the sound and smell of a tomb rather than that of a once vibrant stronghold. What lurks in the deep shadowy halls?

#6 Old Forest Road
    The Pc's march through the Old Forest, a once well traveled and friendly route that has long since fallen into disrepair. Highwaymen, creatures, and worse abound, and many a soul has been taken unawares in the wilds of the world. Travelers who dare the road do so heavily armed, and pass through as quickly and as quietly as possible.

#5 The Mountain Pass
    The mountian passes are passable but dangerous. Highwaymen, beasts and the enemies to all free races linger there waiting to ambush and kill the unwary or unarmed. The PC's have made their way up into the mountains, but trees and rocks bar their path. A natural occurrence, or someones evil purpose? who knows what lies in wait for them upon the frigid paths of the roof of the world.

#4: The Cliffside Fortress
    After the PC's have chased cultist through and cave and a mountain pass, they emerge onto a flattened cliffside, carefully hewn from the rock, before them stands a dilapidated fortress dwelling. What lies within is not certain, though it can be sure the PC's prey have sought refuge from their pursuers there. A last ditch effort to save themselves from justice?, or perhaps a trap for the hunted to turn the tables on their hunters...

#3: The Sand Vault
    An underground tomb hidden at the back of a cave, what lies within?

#2: The Ford:
    This map is for those who want to have an encounter at a defended ford, tell me your thoughts!

#1: The Frozen Mansion:
    For this map i was thinking that some rich lord or wizard who dabbled to much in sorcery has unleashed something that has frozen his/her home. Its escaped and taken its revenge. Or it could be a haunted mansion somewhere int he mountains, or just somebodies home Figured i would put in some clues as to what happened, but leave it open for the DM.

Last edited by TheRedEpic; 06-05-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If I could do encounter maps I'd do the same thing, man - so good luck. I doubt that you'll need it, knowing your work, but good luck all the same, bro. People should pay top dollar for top notch work. So from the bottom of my heart, I hope you make a million
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Beautiful, if I can get a friend who is going to gencon or whenever you are selling these I will make sure he picks me up that book.

Plus if you make a PDF, I will totally buy that even if you are putting the maps here as well.

Edit: Hey that's one of the maps I suggested. Excellent work.
    Last edited by Aegeri; 12-13-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Thanks Ascension, coming from you that really means alot, as you know i think your work is fantastic I hope i can get this thing going too!

Aegeri, thanks for the support man, i really appreciate it! I am planning on self publishing in book form but i may move to PDFs at some point, however if i do this too early, i'm thinking it might undermine the book i am trying to launch and i dont have a shop for people to buy from just yet!. But that will probably happen in time, or i may change my mind. And of course this is one of your ideas, you had some great ones. Mind if i take a couple more? I'll try to do them justice!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is quite nice, good luck with your book/pdf-thingy!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

You're welcome to use any of my ideas. I run so many games that the number of different scenarios I think of/need is quite considerable. I was actually just thinking about an encounter in my Dark Sun campaign, where the players have to engage a group of monsters fighting in/around a huge "dinosaur" like skull in the middle of the desert. The creature had been felled by a defiler (maybe in the very distant past?), so much of the sand at the bottom was defiled black sand terrain (which is quite dangerous) and the skull was the actual safe place to walk/climb/fight on. Basically the skull of the creature forms the safe battle terrain, with the sand being dangerous in effect. Rather like the old schoolyard game where the ground is lava and you can't touch it - only black sand that kills you. Dark Sun has some pretty large monsters and the skull would be partially buried anyway.

Edit: Minding, this might be too specific to be useful for a variety of DMs.
    Last edited by Aegeri; 12-14-2010 at 12:58 AM.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Considering the quality of your maps, Jared, I can't think this could be something else as a success.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

that looks great - perhaps some more frost/ice on the furniture - give it all a bluish sheen? ... and good luck with the sales
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Journeyer

I actually think the lack of ice in the house is a good thing. It means the map might just be someone house but it is in the winter, as opposed to supernaturally frozen inside and out. You can get away with either description to the PCs about the map based on the one in the OP.

Edit: There are snowy footsteps in the mansion though, if you look carefully at the second floor.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast