Thread: Computer Screen Maps

Help Computer Screen Maps

Hey all,
    I am dabbling with creating some 'computer screen' maps. Think those nice bright green maps used in Sci-Fi or similar styles.

Has someone created a tutorial to do that sort of thing? At the moment I'm looking to basically update these quickly-thrown together jobs I've done as part of a game project.

All help or pointers are greatly appreciated. I'm going to be working with GIMP mostly, since Inkscape is still a very foreign entity to me.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Hi Juggernaut...do you mean something like this? Not sure I can help you with gimp procedures but the lines are made by using the 'halftone' filter in photoshop or just a tiling line fill set to the appropriate blend mode.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	world outline.png 
Views:	502 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	31436  

I tried to do something like that in my New York challenge map, if you want to take a look.

The ideas I came up with to make things look like digital readouts were
    --to overlay a square grid shrunk down reeeeeally small in order to give the impression of pixels wherever there were fields of color
    --apply a soft 'outer glow' effect to just about everything on the 'screen'
    --Wireframes (with variable width to imply depth) with an 'outer glow.' I would probably do something similar with the environment's contour lines--easy to do since those look like real-world maps, so getting contour line maps would probably be a piece of cake.
    --emulate the UIs that we might have seen in super cheesy, late eighties to mid-nineties sci-fi/hacker films (anything from Tron to Johnny Mnemonic.)

I already have them as outlines. It's just getting the look right... I will also need to colour it... so I'm guessing we should be going for C64 Double-Dragon Colouring?
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

My Lulu Store

Um... Where?

My Lulu Store