Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December 2007 Entry: Cap'n Janes Roost

Post December 2007 Entry: Cap'n Janes Roost

My submission, story to follow (I have to type it up from my notes first).

There are two versions here, a low res gif and a much better tiff, 18.9mb in size but only a 1.33mb zip file (I have no idea how it does that, I found out by accident myself). I loaded the separately so that folks with lower bandwidth will not have to slug it out with the bigger file (and hate me).

### Winner ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CapnJanesRoost.gif 
Views:	2747 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	1890
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ChickPea; 08-26-2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added Winner tag

I likey, I likey a lot.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice...whats the time it took?

As for the tiff zipping up so small...tiff is an uncompressed format, which is susceptible to standard compression algorithms (and actually uses standard file compression algorithms)...so when you put it in a zip file it compresses it much like a jpeg does, but its not lossy since the uncompression algorithm is included in the zip file.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

I really like the map. Clean and detailed, and the key is extremely informative.

What software do you use for your maps?

On the time, right up to the edge. People kept calling me for some reason on the phone.

As for the program, straight Adobe Illustrator, no chaser. It's got a heck of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it you can do really nice work. Most of the maps I do are for Black and White publication, so color usually isn't an issue. But for maps here, folks like color and such. Sometimes than can be a bit more messy because the program isn't really great for shading and such. So I'm learning there...

Praise I love the cave by the sea...

The cave by the sea is very realistic, especially the sand bank that sits between the sea and the "plunge" - I imagine the water in the "plunge" to be brackish, as fresh water falls from above into the tide pool below it. Also the small streams that cross the sand bank into the sea. Great stuff.

I'm thinking depending on geographic location and season, the roost can get pretty cold in winter...
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Yeah, final exams today so I'm not going to get to that typing anytime soon... grading (the wait has ended, the hurry up is starting). Yes, the water would be rather brackish, but the waterfall would be where they would probably get their fresh water from. Kind of handy no doubt.

Yes, I assume it would be cold, depending on clime, I have not thought of the "larger picture" as of yet. As for the caves, it is a combination of two different types of caves in essence "running into" one another. The sea caves are formed by the crashing waves and the other caves are more common limestone style caves which formed from the other direction. There is probably a honeycomb effect, as more caves would surround the area.

Were I to break the map out and take more time, I would have shown how the other caves sit in relation to the Primary and Secondary chambers (one of them however was carved out and "finsihed" to create the roost, a cave that had, like the Secondary Cave formed behind the Sea Caves and "broken through"). More on all that when I get time later.

Well done!!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Nicely done, Publius! (And what a way to come back after your short break form the Guild. Don't you hate it when real life gets in the way?)
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Yes, but I think you'll like Stronghold

Okay, I desparately hope you'll like Stronghold.

Actually, I haven't been anywhere (online) for a while now that I think of it, here or at HERO's forums where I usually haunt. This semester was especially demanding and I had the paying work o' course. Plus there were a bunch of projects that I have been doing myself, but have not gotten done (always the frustrating part, I leave off when they are half finished).
    Last edited by Publius; 12-10-2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: first post was an 'oops' due to twitchy fingers, noy like anyone cares but I have this neat line. Say how long will this go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast