Thread: Plugins for Photoshop/GIMP

Guild Novice

Help Plugins for Photoshop/GIMP

I apologize upfront if this is the wrong place for the post. I use GIMP on a mac and have download several great plugins for dungeon making, along with some other great scripts.

I also own the latest version of photoshop and I am wondering if there are also plugins related to dungeon making for photoshop? I would just like to compare the two products, but if I can't find as many useful plugins, filters as easily (I understand there are 1,000s for photoshop, I am just thinking for map/dungeon making) then I might as well stick with GIMP. Thanks.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I have not seen any PS plug-ins specifically for dungeon design (doesn't mean they don't exist tho ), I'm sure there are plenty out there that could be used in some form or another.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The only plug-ins I use for Photoshop are Eye Candy and Xenofex from Alien Skin. They're nice for texture making, but I don't even use those very often.

If you could share some examples of Gimp plug-ins you like, maybe somebody could point you toward similar tools for Photoshop.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

GIMIP Examples are:

I guess I should have said "scripts", which I believe are actions in photoshop and plugins:

1- Dungeon Map Maker, by Rob A.
    2- Layer Effects (Script-Fu): basically they mirror those from CC3/DD3, Bevel/Emboss, Color Overlay, Drop Shadow, Inner/outer glow, etc.
    3- Map Scale Legend
    4- RR Make Seamless

Are just a few. Basically, Rob A. and the list created by Sagenlicht at (http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ug-in-overview).

Well, the layer effects script is designed to replicate the effects that are native to Photoshop, so you're definitely covered there. They also work much more easily than they do in Gimp. That's probably the Gimp's weakest area right now.

There are also DEDDESO's recently-published actions for Photoshop that I think cover a little bit of the ground of the Map Prettier script by RobA, although I haven't yet given them a test drive. I've been toying with the notion of trying to replicate some of Rob's scripts in Photoshop in order to refresh my programming skills. That's probably a project for a distant day, though. By which I mean I'll probably never get around to it.

The rotating brush and tapered stroke are things that Photoshop can do natively, also.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name