Aha. I get it. Maybe change the cloak to red, too:
    Name:  avatar27580_3.png
Views: 287
Size:  3.8 KB
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Another way would be to open your base map in a vector app and put your objects in. You can have as many independently moveable, sizeable objects on as few layers as you want! For the same reason vector is also great for labelling.

The vector app I use has a 'gallery' in which you can put in objects and then just drag and drop them onto the workspace.
    Would you mind letting me know which vector program you use. Also, when you speak of a base map, are you speaking of one that you have completed in GIMP/Photoshop, then you would just open in the vector app and go to town? I like that option because it also preserves the map I created, if I am thinking correctly. The huge selling point for me here is the option for a "gallery" in the vector program. I am hoping they have a mac like program you are speaking about. Thanks.

I believe ravs uses Serif Drawplus , which is Windows only. Adobe Illustrator, available for Mac or Windows, has that capability, but it's obviously quite pricy. I'm not sure about Inkscape, but it's free and it runs on Mac, so there's no reason not to try it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Aha. I get it. Maybe change the cloak to red, too:
    Name:  avatar27580_3.png
Views: 287
Size:  3.8 KB
    And done...sorry about the thread jack
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Waldo View Post
    Very sneaky, I like it. Is there a quick way to convert .png or .jpg files to .gbr files?
    Oddly enough I just whipped up a script in response to a post over at the Gimp Plugin Registry to batch convert a directory of image files into gimp brushes and store them in your personal brush directory (the location is an option, though).

Get the script here: http://ffaat.pointclark.net/incoming...t-to-brush.scm

-Rob A>

Is there any instructions as to what size images or how they should be prepared beforehand?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Midgardsormr... I didn't realize you could clone stamp from one file to the next.. i'll try that soon. I wish photoshop had a library like Illustrator does. It would make things easier. Thanks for that info.

I have sheets of objects that I will open then copy one into PS, then from there use the clone stamp to repeat it several times on a layer. It takes a while to find the right object, and then place it correctly. Vector is great for setting up complex things quickly, but it usually looks very vectory. I've thought about taking my PSD objects and live-tracing them and saving those as symbols, I might have to test that sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Is there any instructions as to what size images or how they should be prepared beforehand?
    Brushes are scalable so size doesn't really matter except in speed of stamping.

If the source image files support (and have) transparency like png then the brush should respect it and end up as a full colour brushes with transparency (stamps)

Haven't tested it on greyscale source image files.... they might end up as transparent brushes with the transparency- haven't had a chance to test.

-Rob A>

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by DevinNight View Post
    Vector is great for setting up complex things quickly, but it usually looks very vectory. I've thought about taking my PSD objects and live-tracing them and saving those as symbols, I might have to test that sometime soon.
    What do you mean by "vectory", also any luck with saving as symbols?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast