Thread: GIMP using path tool to create river systems

Default GIMP using path tool to create river systems

I'm working on making rivers for my map. I want to have rivers with multiple branches. I found ijontichy tapered stroke path plugin, and it works great.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...h-Taper-plugin

However, in his thread he starts with a path that has multiple branches on it. I can't figure out how to do that with the GIMP path tool. I can only make a single line. Which I guess still works, because I can just do a separate path for a branch of the river and then stroke. But I'd like to know more about GIMP's path tool, because it confuses me.

Well, the way I do it is one at a time. First, I create the biggest river all the way to it's end. I create the tapered stroke on that. I then start each of the additional rivers at the point I want them to join into the main one. I taper each of those as I create the path. (I also reduce the starting size so it doesn't look like you have 3 huge rivers becoming one little river.)

I hope that helps.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

To draw a single path having several disconnected bits (called components in the dialog) with the path tool, use the shift key when clicking to start a new one, rather than connecting from the previous one.

Not sure how the plugin handles it, though, ymmv

-Rob A>

Well, since I crash the plug in half the time I don't try to get too fancy with it. I'm always holding my breath
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt