Thread: Gamer looking to learn to make my own Maps

Default Gamer looking to learn to make my own Maps

Hi,
    I joined the guild because I'm interested in developing more mass combat, diplomatic and political scenarios for my table top games. The main problem I'm facing is adequate maps that have a level of detail that allow for politicking and diplomacy. I believe good maps allow players to make choices more "authentic" to the game's genre, especially ones that use tactical, economic, and political information.

I have a multi-media background but I'm not in the creative industry. I was trained to use 3ds Max, and since I'm not in the industry anymore, work on and off with Blender (very amateur).

I'm hoping to look for advice regarding ways make the process easier, faster and if possible more automated. I like to work with Open Source programs (budget problems) and have no problem learning new programs from scratch.

I like make my work available to be shared and pass the it forward.
    gameinthebrain.blogspot.com
    mybyzantine.blogspot.com

Regards to all, I hope to learn a lot.
    nik1979

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome !! sounds like you have a handle on some of the things you'll need to use to make quality maps. I use GIMP which is an open source program an although it has it's limitations it's very good for this purpose. Inkscape is another open source program and there are others that can be used to help in map making. Check out the tutorial section and when your ready post a WIP it's the best way to get feedback and suggestions. I look forward to seeing your work..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

You've come to the right place! For free, Gimp and Inkscape (as jt has already said) are your best choices. We have a lot of Gimp tutorials but not very many (in fact hardly any) inkscape tutorials (which is a shame). We sometimes use 3d apps to make maps too - Bryce 6 (I believe) is now a free download and is worth checking out.

Have fun and looking forward to seeing your maps!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome! Enjoy your stay
    Yesterday today was tomorrow.
    My deviantart: http://darkaiz.deviantart.com/

Thanks for the warm welcome.
    I hope I can learn and pay it forward. I'm getting started trying to read up all the posts I can find on the matters. I'm a bit rusty I haven't done any creative work in visual arts for a while. I hope to use Inkscape and GIMP more effectively. If you have any suggested threads I'm very open since I'm not sure where to start.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.