Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WIP Middle-Earth

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Looks good so far Saule, and it's good to see you back at the Guild again! Hm, I'm not sure about the error message, I would guess it had something to do with the size of the image, but then that wouldn't explain the "not a valid file" message. Shrug.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    A bit late, but hey... Is this the one you mentioned on DA, Saule? (I'm Dwylaw there, or Dagnal on Skwuig )
    And I had the same problem with uploading just a few minutes ago. Decreasing the size solved it.

It is, (and I figured )

I'd have to try decreasing the size next time, it is pretty huge... Takes my computer a couple of minutes to save the thing, and I really need to not forget to merge all the seperate mountains into one layer, otherwise I have to wait forever.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

I suppose there is a kind of limit beyond which having a high resolution just isn't that useful anymore. Unless you want to use it as wallpaper in your living room

I might actually do that, hang it on my wall . But I'll see once I'm finished.

For now, I've finished placing the mountains to the north. On to the rest... Still a slow-going process, but hopefully I'll be able to start copy-pasting more now.

(The attachment is at scale 50%)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP ME.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	443.1 KB 
ID:	40574

Yay, mountains are finished! Glad to be starting on something different now . Next up are marshes, town icons and probably more variation in the land colour. Picture shown is 60% of the original size.

Views:	156 
Size:	710.7 KB 
ID:	41534

This is starting to look really nice.

I look forward to what you ill do to set Mordor apart.

Marshes done and land colours changed a bit. I'm wondering if I should make bigger changes to the land colour, contrast is always good, but I don't want to make it too busy. Next up should be the towns.

Views:	267 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	42258

Placed the towns. Icon outline was done by Ramah, I coloured them myself. Also made a start with the labeling, (Gondor) in Dutch so far since my base map is Dutch, but I'll change the language-dependent names to the original English.

Always happy to hear thoughts

Views:	675 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	43056

I know this might be a bit late, but I would suggest some use of the smudge tool to get the mountains to blend into the ground a bit more. Some of them are a bit hard. I am not sure about the towns, I think a few are a bit large. You might want to try to play with a slight bit of blur around the very bottom of the icons to "set" them into the layers underneath.

All in all though, it's an admirable project you got going on here.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks for the comments . I'll try to set everything into the background a bit more. I'd already added a coloured layer underneath the mountains, but I think I can adjust them a bit more. As for the Icons, I think that if I make them any smaller they'll won't be visible at all if you fit the map in your window, so I'll keep them the same size.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast