Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GIMP vs Painter vs Photoshop

I'll just mention that saying 300 dpi without any other data is meaningless. You have to specify the physical dimensions for it to be useful. So again, if you're not designing for print, pay more attention to pixel dimensions and less to dpi.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Point taken, like my wife always tells me I tend to start in the middle. I just pretty much figured you always start with whatever size image you want. I guess I didn't really think of that as resolution (although I'm sure that's what it's under on my monitor settings). To me "Size" has nothing to do with clarity which in my mind is based on resolution. Maybe I'm just boggling over definitions.

So here's a question, if the Universe goes on forever can we tell what resolution it is? Hehe, I hope not because then I can walk around asking people, "So, hey, what do you think the resolution of the Universe is?"

Hmm, now that I think of it, you could start with a 2" x 2" square and create a map, then create another 2" x 2" square to connect together and so on, thus gradually 'quilting' a world as large as you like. What resolution would it be? I guess you don't know until you are done? Or is it defined by the 2" x 2" square you started with? Bah, it's a miracle I can function.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I tried the brush stroke in GIMP for a circle, and well it seem to be impossible to have the same thickness for every part of the boundary of the circle.

As for the DPI, I'll follow your advice and start at 300 for a new work.

Any new tutorial or newbie resources that I should tackle on?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    So here's a question, if the Universe goes on forever can we tell what resolution it is?
    .000000000000000000000000000000000006163 dots per meter.

eyenuv: Are you using a round brush? If you use one that's elongated, you'll get a line with varying thickness when you stroke with it.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hi eyenuv. If you're just starting out, I suggest you read the guide for new mappers which is near the top of the tutorials forum. Best of luck with your map making progress!

If you want a perfect circle use the "Selection" tool that is shaped like a circle. You can rubber band it to whatever size you want, even use the scale tool if you can't get the pixels exactly. Then you can either fill it with a color or use 'Edit>Stroke Selection' and it will draw a ring for you. You have options to determine how wide of a line you want. Then you can just copy paste that circle till there is no tomorrow.

Another way is to rubber band your circle to whatever dimensions you want and then fill it with a color. Next 'Select>Shrink' use like 5 pixels or whatever size you want and then hit 'Delete' to clear out the center. That leaves you with a ring.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-17-2010 at 02:34 AM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12