Thread: Snowy Field and Trees

Guild Journeyer

Help Snowy Field and Trees

Hello all! I have a mapping request that I hope someone can help me with.

What I want is a snowy field, with some snow drifts (a bit like a sand dune, but in the snow) and some trees. The trees have snow on them as well. The map is approximately 25 squares wide and around 25 squares long (so 25x25 area). The actual terrain though is more limited than the area it compromises.

Time Limit: About three months. This is a while into my campaign and we won't be here for some time!

Style: Your style! Numerous people here to some incredibly cartography and skills that far surpass my own. I'm not about to tell the artist how to paint. Tthe map is going to be used for VTT, so it needs to have dimensions appropriate to a VTT program: In this case maptools. As long as it is pretty and has nice snow. I really like snow. Even if it is cold and pretty wet, you can make snowballs out of it and who doesn't like snowballs?

Description: I came firmly prepared this time. Crappy MS paint sketch, I choose you!

This is the field, the brown line is a fence (semi-buried in snow), the dual black lines are a 10 feet wide road that cuts through the snow and should be reasonably free of it, my paint skills are horrid but this should be around 12 squares into the map from the right edge (Bearing in mind it's a 25x25 square map). Along the road at your discretion there should be some frozen puddles of water intermittently along its length - which actually means the road isn't as easy to move on as one would assume. The green circles are actually large trees - these are very important to the encounter because they are covered in snow. PCs and monsters can smack the trees to dislodge said snow onto monsters/PCs around it. It deals cold damage and immobilizes, or slows a character on a miss. It's one of my niftier hazards. The large blue circles are immense piles of build up snow, monsters are actually hiding in these positions. The red circle is a very unhappy scarecrow who is covered in snow - he's not a creature of any sort so can be popped anywhere you feel is handy. The field is a wheat field that has been covered in a distinctly unnatural snowdrift - so some squares should have some wheat popping out of them to emphasize what the field actually was (the wheat field is on the left hand side of the map).

For the map positions, the only really important thing is that the right side of the map is more open than the left. Creatures "reinforce" from the forested side on the right side of the map. You are welcome to add more trees, stumps and such forth on the right hand side of the map to make it feel more like a bushy area. My terrible paint skills should not - in any manner - be used as a guide as to where everything should be but one snowdrift should be farther from the road in the field: A couple of artillery monsters are lurking in it. There should at maximum only be 4 or so trees though on that side. There is one tree in the field on the left, which has a massive snowdrift around it and a further snowdrift to the north. The scarecrow in the field is supposed to make my PCs paranoid: But it is not in any way dangerous (though later there will be a field with scarecrows that ARE. I like to have little callbacks like this during the game). The scarecrow is called Benny btw, if you were curious.

Quality & Size: You guys do excellent work, hence why I am asking the community for help. I have no doubt about the quality!

Size: 25 squares by 25 squares, at a good size for a virtual tabletop game (50pixels per inch?).

Game system: 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons.

Grid: A grid would be very good and quite handy.

Copyright: This should be owned by whoever does the cartography, so long as I can use it in my home game if say you want it for a published adventure or something feel free to use it! I'd be very curious to see how someone other than me might use this maps concept in an adventure actually, so let me know if that happens.

Cheers for any help!
    Last edited by Aegeri; 12-07-2010 at 06:51 AM.

I can do this easily I think. Just need to get setup at my new adress and have my comp arrive there. Anyone else is welcome to tackle it. I'll repost once I get setup to officially take it.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Guild Journeyer

Most excellent! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Ya you can, unfortunately haven't been able to start though. PC is stuck in a warehouse, didn't know they would be so anal about a microwave being shipped with it.
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Guild Journeyer

Yep you can indeed. Don't worry about the timing or anything. My PCs are still deep in the trenches fighting gigantic killer spiders.