Thread: Baler Penninsula

Wip Baler Penninsula

Baler Penninsual lies at the southwestern part of Isoyni. Isolated from the rest of the land by mountains, this area is sparsely populated. However, recently trade betwen the north and the south has picked up, leading to an increase in visits by merchants sailing around the penninsula

Hi y'all

Albeit a bit childish, and I know the drawings can be a bit crude (I blame using the mouse and lack of talent), but I'm moderately satisfied.

Anyone have any tips and tricks on how to improve this map?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baler Penninsula.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	223.4 KB 
ID:	31509  

Perhaps some shadows and highlights would liven it up more. Do you plan on adding towns and roads?
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It looks pretty good like a oil painting you have some artifacts around your islands but still very nice work!!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks for the input folks, it's very much appreciated

I agree that there need to be more stuff added. Planning on adding a ruined castle near the forest, and perhaps juice up the mountain on top of the cliffs to the north.

But I guess I have to spend some time experimenting with different styles and practice my drawing skills :p

Also, here is the "world" of which this map is taken from. It is an old map I made in 2007 which I'm still obsessing about.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutout.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	31552  
    Last edited by njordys; 12-18-2010 at 08:25 AM.

I've been experimenting with textures since last time. It is a whole new world for me. Here is what I did to this picture.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BalerTexture.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	386.3 KB 
ID:	31741

Now, I know it's not radically different, but I think it looks a bit nicer.

I got the sea texture from the Land / Sea Fill Textures thread on this forum, and the grass texture from Gentica.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That looks very nice. It's usually pretty hard to get textures to match the "hand drawn" style but you've managed it very well
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.