Thread: Greetings

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected harrycoins's Avatar

Post Greetings

Hello from Florida. This site is absolutely wonderful and I am looking forward to making my own overland maps for future campaign use. The amount of help/tutorials/friendly people is amazing. For me this all started a few months ago when I decided to run a M&M 3rd ed game and I wanted to make a map of the player's base. I have a small background using PS mainly for photography but I just wasn't approaching it right in the software. So I decided to grab Inkscape and two days later I had a floorplan without any doors. My original idea was to have the floorplan as well as a sideview because I've seen that format so many times in comics. Luckily my players aren't spoiled and they didn't mind the haphazard creation with red sharpie used to mark the doors and the glaring ugliness that showed in the print version but not the screen version. So I hit the internet to find some help and here I am. I already have my hands full with tutorials that I have run across here and I am hoping to get my skills up to the point where I can take another pass at that superhero base sometime in the future.

Although the amount of stuff for overland maps seems to have my attention for now. I did have one question, hopefully it's not one overly asked, is there a point near the beginning or middle of a map that would be the optimum point to save if you wanted to do different styles of the same map, i.e. an atlas version, textured terrain version, or any of the other styles?

HC

I find the most critical place to save a baseline version is after I've finalized the coastal outline. Also, if I'm working on a satellite-view style map, then immediately after finalizing the heightmap (a grayscale image in which the highest points are bright and the lowest points are dark).

I also tend to start a new file after I've finished each major terrain type and right before I start labeling. Although, with Photoshop's layering capabilities, I save fewer versions than I do with other programs, simply because I can simply turn off the layers of experiments that didn't work out.

Always save a new version right before major merges or other destructive operations, of course.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome!! and I second Midgardsormrs ideas I save ALL the time you never know when you might accidently change something thats not easily fixed or when your computer might need a nap..Save Save Save..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected harrycoins's Avatar

Thank you for the help and the welcome. It is really appreciated.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave