Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Planet Texture

Publisher

Well this is what I have done to try and work out what goes where.

I know ir looks a little mad but I think it will work, I can cut and paste off the original map and set the islands in the areas that now seem to be the plave for them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poseidon-01b.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	928.1 KB 
ID:	31595

I gave it a little effort and came up with the attached. I unprojected chunks using a Hammer projection. It's not perfect (it's pretty bad in places), but it seems to be reasonable on a globe. I'm not sure how good it is in absolute terms, though.

Name:	p02a.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	168.2 KB 
ID:	31608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a0.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	31609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	31610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a2.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	31611

Publisher

Waldronate thats amazing, thank you so much

Publisher

Here's the first preliminary render to see what its going to look like.

All ive done so far is to clean the map. define the caps and green out the islands, I added the sea colour, but have not created the shallows around the islands.

Name:	Poseidon-02_render.jpg 
Views:	829 
Size:	697.0 KB 
ID:	31624

Knitted together, the meridians appear approximately elliptical(or quartic or something, but let's not get crazy), the parallels are evenly spaced. If I were forced to shove that into a mathematical projection, I'd go with a bizarrely interrupted Apian II. I don't know of any app that takes arbitrarily interrupted projections(of any sort) to reproject.

My suggestion, rather than trying to reproject or warp or slice-n-dice this map, would be to start with a blank page twice as wide as it is high. Treat that as equirectangular or geographical projection with equally-spaced straight parallels and meridians perpendicular to each other. On that sheet draw, by eye and imagination your best approximation to the island forms on the map, Remember to try to take into account the east-west stretching that will occur as you move away from the equator.

What you get won't be a perfect reproduction of the landforms in the existing map, but they are clearly, themselves, not a perfect reproduction of any land that could exist on the surface of any sphere.

Once you have a master in equirectangular projection, it's pretty easy to find something that will project that into a whole lot of other projections. FT Pro is good for that. If you want to get a lot more technical, Proj.4 is a good free app, but not necessarily easy.

EDIT: I should make sure there isn't a second page before I post .
    Both Waldronate and Digger seem to have this well in hand. Neither of these are necessarily going to fit the intention of the map's author, but neither does the author's map so hey... it's .

This map is what happens when graphic designers do cartography . Graphic designers on this board are of course excepted. People on this board pretty uniformly have a respect for maps.
    Last edited by su_liam; 12-21-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Publisher

Will concentrate on the Islands now, I have detailed maps for all of them

Name:	Poseidon-02_r02.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	31630

Publisher

When the maps all completed, what format would you recomend to redisplay it as a flat map and is the a programe to do it?

Publisher

This is where I stand atm with the map

Name:	Poseidon-sample-01.png 
Views:	1054 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	32670

Well Done Digger! Do you have a heightfield (greyscale image)? I could generate a pretty detailed image with (grass/rock/etc) textures for you if you did.

Oh, Hi. I'm lurking around here now. Good to see more of your work.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not knowing the first thing about any of the math involved in this I'm just going to say it looks very nice (and go stick my head in a book..a book about math..a book about math and maps...)
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast