Thread: 3D City Block

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default 3D City Block

Well since I seem to have a slight obsession with sketchup lately I decide to see if I could come up with a city block design for my upcoming Stormhaven map. This is what I came up with. I think it's pretty neat and fairly easy It would also be easy to add details for a close in "street level" view.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iso City Block.png 
Views:	338 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	31633
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Heya. That looks pretty cool. I've always liked Sketchup's "sketchy" architectural renderer. With some details that'd be looking pretty snazzy. I wanted to do 3D district maps for my Haibianr city block and they'd look great in a style like this...but modeling that many buildings in detail would simply kill me. Hmmm. I need to hire Crayons to do it in Plumton style!
    M

Blog Entries

Thanks M I'm going to try to do about 10 or so of these for Stormhaven (the next big city in Shendenflar) I think I might do two different versions the normal "top down" version and then a "street level" version with more detail..

BTW here's another one...

Name:	Iso City Block 2.png 
Views:	537 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	31634
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

After a couple of hours of fiddling with this using some textures I had on hand I came up with this for a top down look. I'd probably go hunt (or make) some new roof textures to mix it up some but this was just a test let me know what you think..

Name:	Iso City Block textured.png 
Views:	504 
Size:	511.2 KB 
ID:	31639

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks fine so far. You need some fireplace thingies on top and some of those window things that you see on old houses that stick up above the roof (can't remember anything right now, my brain must be broken). Anyway, what you could also do is make up a bunch of different houses with different shapes and after each one is done you select all of the lines and planes and then group them. Then you have a bunch of lil models so you can just plop em down like a lil toy train town. I have something like that but I never put the patterns on the roofs, or did the fireplace thingies or window thingies...so maybe someone else will
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Looks fine so far. You need some fireplace thingies on top and some of those window things that you see on old houses that stick up above the roof (can't remember anything right now, my brain must be broken). Anyway, what you could also do is make up a bunch of different houses with different shapes and after each one is done you select all of the lines and planes and then group them. Then you have a bunch of lil models so you can just plop em down like a lil toy train town. I have something like that but I never put the patterns on the roofs, or did the fireplace thingies or window thingies...so maybe someone else will
    Thats a good idea. I think I'll try that oh and I'll add chimneys and dormers too..

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, those things I wrote that right after waking up from a nap so I guess my brain wasn't fully firing.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looks good jtougas. I have also tried something like that in Wings and then exported it to Bryce. You can get good results in no time. Keep on!