Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stormhaven

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

They're blue with pink polka dots and you're the only one who can see them.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip

I've decided that I'm going to try for an "old school" feel to this. (don't worry Ascension I've also started on a version using your tips ) I changed the font to something a little less fancy and have gotten rid of all the textures. I'll be adding more streets and working on the key next.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port Ward Old Skool.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	32371
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not to worry, man; some things just take way too much effort and, in the end, still look like junk. If you want to scrap that other one then fine by me; doesn't bother me at all. You learned some things and that's what's important.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Thanks I certainly learned some things. And there's no way I'm going to scrap the other version (not after a couple dozen hours working on roof textures.. )
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

Managed to get some work done on this in between chasing shadow issues and light points on my challenge entry Not much of an update but I color keyed the important buildings and I'm also thinking of adding a grid but can't decide between square (which I know how to make) and hex (which I don't) What do you all think?

Views:	48 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	32422

Finished Maps

If you're going to use the grid as an X/Y marker (e.g. the Palace is at G4), then I'd go for a square grid. Thanks to Isomage you don't need to make a hex grid, his clever little application available online Link Here does it for you! But you will need something that can read SVG files like inkscape (which I see you have). I remember further up in this post you mentioned the problems lining up your text labels. Did you do the labels in inkscape? If you had it would have taken seconds to line them up. It's always worth considering doing your labelling in vector.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    If you're going to use the grid as an X/Y marker (e.g. the Palace is at G4), then I'd go for a square grid. Thanks to Isomage you don't need to make a hex grid, his clever little application available online Link Here does it for you! But you will need something that can read SVG files like inkscape (which I see you have). I remember further up in this post you mentioned the problems lining up your text labels. Did you do the labels in inkscape? If you had it would have taken seconds to line them up. It's always worth considering doing your labelling in vector.
    Thanks for the tip Rav. I seem to be having trouble using the curved text tool in Inkscape (although I'm no expert by far.. ) I think I want a hex grid more as a scale feature so I'll check that out.

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

After Ravells great tip I have my hex grid (Each hex=25') I think I'm going to change the color of the ocean it seems a bit bright

Views:	57 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	32430

Finished Maps

I've found that you almost never want to use fully saturated colours (ie your ocean blue looks like R0,G0,B255). Using more faded colours almost always is more pleasing to the eye, and even just plain easier to look at!

Blog Entries

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by moutarde View Post
    I've found that you almost never want to use fully saturated colours (ie your ocean blue looks like R0,G0,B255). Using more faded colours almost always is more pleasing to the eye, and even just plain easier to look at!
    Thats very true. The Ocean had been bothering me since the beginning of this project. Here it is with the color toned a bit and the key started. I'm not 100% certain about the font but it is easy to read.

Views:	45 
Size:	3.22 MB 
ID:	32481

Finished Maps

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast