Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Long Term Doodle - Plumton, the town of Prunes

Default WIP - Long Term Doodle - Plumton, the town of Prunes

This'll probably take a while, and I started it mainly to play with my tablet again. It's a vaguely cartoony isometric drawing (I still like my 3D even when hand drawn) style somewhat similar to something but I can't remember what. What I didn't realise is how hard it is to keep to isometric when all my drawing instincts keep me wanting to add perspective. Huh!
    Any advice gladly received. There's no spectacular plan as such, no more than the rough notes sketched on it so far, it's a sort of free form doodle. I thought you maybe might enjoy seeing it progress? It may take years!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scribble01.png 
Views:	451 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	28493
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff
    ............. Some of my 3D Stuff (POVRay)

Woah. The part you've got detailed already ROCKS! The buildings are excellent. You going to color it when done? I think it could benefit from a watercolor-type shading at some point.

I've fantasized about doing this style for my Haibianr city setting book...covering each district as a separate illustration. It would take me years, though, so it's only a dream.

Yeah. I want to see it develop. Keep going!
    M

I agree and love the fact that you seem to have multiple roof styles. A few shingle types, some board style, and the one in the upper left looks like it might be made of thatch. Good stuff.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I have a hard time sticking to straight up ISO as well and start adding perspective all the time. What helps me to stay focused is to constantly chant to myself "think cartoony think cartoony" and also to keep a picture loaded up of the style I'm aiming for so that I can check it often. You have a great start so far, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

really nice... and very detatailed drawings - so I guess I'm stuck here for years now *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The problem with doodling is it gets more-ish! I did some POVray models for a mate and sent them, then, while waiting for a reply picked up the tablet again. Several hours later!!!
    Yah, you lose all sorts of overall view of isometrics when you're zoomed in but for some reason, I don't care? It just seems to emphasise the niaive quality of the cartooniness (is that a word?)
    Anyway, what it does need is some inspiration for buildings, so if you guys can suggest stuff? I've got blacksmith on my list and I'm dreading a stables/corral thing coz I can't draw animals. There's going to be some plum drying racks (it's the world's Prune Capital after all !) but shortly after that my list is drying up. Suggestions most welcome. C & C's also but it isn't meant to be a work of High Art or anything, just a bit of fun.
    Oh, yes. I want lots of things going on - like the boy with the hoop. I'd like it to be one of those pictures where you just keep looking for things... if I can?
    Cheers!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scribble02.png 
Views:	196 
Size:	401.2 KB 
ID:	28533

ooops! Forgot!
    mearrin69 & jfrazierjr : erm, no, I wasn't going to colour it. I'll certainly think about it. I've since realised what the style reminds me of - it's those postcards with drawings of a place that you ( well I ) don't usually buy! Colouring it in might make it look a bit like the lid of a tin of shortcake or something! LOL!

Acension : that's an idea about having a picture of something to look at, only, I don't have one, so I guess I'll just doodle on...

cheers!
    Last edited by Crayons; 08-28-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: ooops
    --
    "I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man"

My Finished Stuff

An inn*, a brothel, a retirement home ("human prunes"), barbershop, a church/temple/shrine*, a green grocer, fish market, tailor's shop, cobbler's shop, woodworker.

* - there's a building already that could be this, but I'm not positive, so listed anyway

Cheers, rdanberry, the retirement home, woodworker and possibly the brothel I can do. Perhaps I should have explained the problem? The main thing is that at the resolution I (deliberately) chose to do this at, some things won't be obvious. Unless the fishmonger is selling a shark... hey, yes, I can do that!.... but I mean, in general, the "trade" has to be rather large. I doubt I can manage even stark nekkid ladies for a brothel let alone frilly stockinged ones... hrm. The barber I could fall back on the traditional stripey bar but it'd have to be pretty big.
    Basically anything much smaller than 1m in size - is "tricky". I don't mind this being "silly" - it is a cartoony drawing after all.
    --

My Finished Stuff

Prunes? Prune juice is a warriors drink! You need a barracks! Will try to think of some places.
    M

Blog Entries

...and a bit of a Klingon specialty if I remember right as well...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast