Thread: Celestia: Universe Mappy Thingy

Default Celestia: Universe Mappy Thingy

Celestia

It may well have been posted before, but I found this a couple of weeks ago (and only got around to downloading it last night).

"... The free space simulation that lets you explore our universe in three dimensions. Celestia runs on Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.

Unlike most planetarium software, Celestia doesn't confine you to the surface of the Earth. You can travel throughout the solar system, to any of over 100,000 stars, or even beyond the galaxy.
    All movement in Celestia is seamless; the exponential zoom feature lets you explore space across a huge range of scales, from galaxy clusters down to spacecraft only a few meters across. A 'point-and-goto' interface makes it simple to navigate through the universe to the object you want to visit.
    Celestia is expandable. Celestia comes with a large catalog of stars, galaxies, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and spacecraft. If that's not enough, you can download dozens of easy to install add-ons with more objects."

You can zoom out from the Milky Way and zoom in on other galaxies. Unfortunately, seeing stars in other galaxies is quite impossible, but, well, yeah...

You can speed up time, too, and follow Halley's Comet. I personally think it's quite brilliant. Not to mention that you can add in Solar Systems of your own.

Blog Entries

We have had posts about it before and I take it that its supposed to be a neat app. I think the dev or someone strongly involved with it was posting about it a lot here a while back. You can probably find a lot of the posts from about a year ago with a search.

Oh and what is going on with your avatar ? You look like you have been shot ?!!

I did have a search for anything to do with it, but the two or three searches I did yielded nothing.

And my avatar is a screenshot from a short film a friend of mine is making. That's me covered in blood (which mostly isn't mine). That's me laying on the linoleum of a wrecked kitchen in an abandoned mental asylum. Booyeah. There was a drawer full of washcloths.

Blog Entries

Glad your making a film....

Yes it was Selden that was a hot on Celestia. I dont understand our forum search. I know he made loads of posts about it. It says he made 60 or so posts in total and if I search for them all it shows less than 10 so obviously some of the posts are out of search view. I know many of his posts were Celestia related. Maybe I should add that keyword to my keyword scraper index and see if it can see more of them.

I was going to point you at my lil ole vid but it didnt come up in the search either... but that one is in my keyword index here if your interested.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 12-23-2010 at 02:00 PM.