Thread: A few map symbols I made

Post A few map symbols I made

Hi.
    I recently remembered all those very cool looking Final Fantasy videogame symbols you saw of the cities and towers/dungeons on the world map. Those 16 bit works of art.. So I attempted some sophisticated mapping symbols. These are the 1.0 versions. Oh and a mountain texture I've been working on (photoshop technique thanks to zombienirvana) . Comments?

What I did with the town/village symbols in PS is do a new fill layer and pick pattern. Scale it to fit your map and then do a layer mask. Invert the colors (ctrl-I) and then paint in what you want with ...uh..black or white I cant remember which. Very neat looking. Oh and make sure to hit that multiply blending mode on the layer mask.
    (look at me using all that fancy Photoshop lingo!)

-Perfect
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountain-pattern.jpg 
Views:	1466 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	4212  
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Does the mountain texture tile?
    I have not tried it yet, but a eyeball on it seems to indicate that it does tile.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Does the mountain texture tile?
    Yes, rav but you have to work it a little. It's not as seemless as I would like it to be. Also for some reason any time I add it on a map they mountains are somewhat grey.

Lol never mind I got so excited by the pretty picture that I missed your post words. Sorry bout that, but still they rock and It gives me a great idea so I think if I can figure this out (being a newby and all) I shall add to your rep
    Last edited by Rovingjack; 10-19-2008 at 08:24 PM.

Very cool. I'm inspired to create some of my own now.