Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First ISO Dungeon Map WIP

Default First ISO Dungeon Map WIP

I find myself looking at a bunch of really nice ISO dungeon maps and figured that its about time I try my hand at one. Coincidentally I also find myself starting a whole bunch of small projects... which I am sure I will get around to finishing *shifty eyes*...right. Anyone else have that problem every now and again?

Anyway... Here is just a small start. I wanted to do more, but I am running out of space on my sheet of graph paper. Being that I am not at home and this is the only sheet I have on me I can't continue To be honest I don't really have and idea of where I am taking this or what its going to look like, I just started drawing a cube and went from there.

I plan to do a couple more floors on separate pages and then bring them all into Photoshop to texture them, spiffy them up and all that jazz. But anyway here is what I have so far. The perspective thing is hurting my eyes... I knew I should have cheated and just used 3DS Max... haha. Maybe a project for another day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_3534.JPG 
Views:	355 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	31706

Nice start...looking forward to seeing how you develop it!

I have far to many projects going to ever finish them all. Some get more attention than others.
    M

Being that I ran out of space on my graph paper I started adding more on a second page. I lined it up with the first as best I could and merged it in photoshop. So here is the little bit of progress, I added another floor below the first and will likely add one more level down and finish it off I think... Humm... I need to add a way in... Curses... maybe I will add one floor above instead of down.

Name:	ISO_Dungeon.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	952.7 KB 
ID:	31840

I decided to just start texturing what I have, so I have walls and floors in place. Everything is transparent at the moment, but I will be working next on adding finer details and adjusting how the walls and floors look.

Name:	ISO_TextureWIP.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	31869

Here is a bit more progress. I am working at lighting and adding in some random items and minor details on the floors/walls etc. This is looking to be a long process which I am enjoying! The water is a bit bright, but once I start the lighting in the other rooms it should hopefully balance out. Any thoughts on what should go into the other rooms?

Name:	ISO_TextureWIP_2.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	31870

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I like the progress of this map.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Awesome!! I love the Iso look
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Progressing quite nicely...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looks cool! Really like the style and the mood of this.

That second north-south passage from the west, where the second east-west passage (from the top room with the water) runs into it -- might want to extend it north a few squares to clear up what's going on there. My eyes get a little lost there. Or, may make that one wall completely transparent where it runs behind the other, that way they aren't "competing."

As for suggestions for what might be in the rooms, do you think you could do vaulted ceilings in this style? Some round columns with flying buttresses (I think that's what they're called) becoming more and more transparent as they rise would look cool, but I don't know how they would turn out in this perspective.

Showing a "pit trap" in this style would probably work really well, especially if it ended in spears (with skulls and water, maybe) at the bottom.

Rats, snakes, skulls, bones and piles of hay can litter the floor, as can broken pottery, weapons and rusted helmets. In fact, making one of the rooms a catacomb might be cool.

A rickety wooden bridge of thin, rotten planks crossing the waterway that it can be easily kicked into the water by the defenders, who have something on the other side such as their sleeping place or a hostage chained to the wall or held in a bird cage.

Some metal bars over the arching drains might be nice.

Some bloody writing on the wall, maybe in "orcish" or "goblin tongue," or whatever. Also, a pentagram in blood on the floor with candles at each point and a skull in the center.

A misshapen face or two carved of stone, like a gargoyle, on one of the walls. Perhaps water can drain out of their mouths and into the existing water.

A black iron portcullis with a winch on the wall.

That's about all I can think of right now. Looking forward to the progress!
    Last edited by Sharpe; 01-02-2011 at 11:30 PM.

@Sharpe: I didn't have a look at the posts on this thread for a bit, but funny thing is that I got some time to sit down and work on this a bit more. Turns out I made a couple of your suggestion already! Thanks for them by the way, its appriciated. Not sure how to do work the vaulted ceilings, but it may be something I will try out. Hallways are a tod confusing, but I think at this point it may be a little more work than I want to put in to redo them. I may just change the transparency on one of the walls to separate things out a bit better.

A couple things I was planning to add later (before I came to check this thread) were grates, a portculis, some beds, perhaps piles of junk on the floor, more cracks and blood!

Name:	ISO_TextureWIP_3.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	32150

Now that I look at the pic, I noticed that my board appear transparent... not so in Photoshop... Ill have to look into that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast