Thread: December 2010 Entry : planet Sylvania

Wip December 2010 Entry : planet Sylvania

Here is my first participation in the mapping challenge :-)

So a little planet named Sylviana.
    Scientists don't know much about it except that there are two great oceans and thousands of forest.

Map done with CC3 and the style pack Mercator (Cartographer's annual 2007)
    (I will try to make a background with GIMP, but not sure I will have enough time before 31st december)

*****Latest WIP*****
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sylvania.PNG 
Views:	173 
Size:	3.87 MB 
ID:	31723  
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

I have been inspired by this map, so I made background, border, etc ...

I hope you'll enjoy it

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sylvania.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	31838  
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-28-2010 at 05:58 PM.
    Noon

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

In case you were wondering; I edited your wip tag so that it conforms properly - otherwise the thumbnail scraper won't scrape it up. As far as the map goes, I like the idea of the background text (always a good artsy touch) but I think you should confine it to the periphery instead of covering the map itself. This isn't a big thing and if you decide to leave then fine. The main thing is the rivers...oy. First off you can't have a river stretching from sea to sea - rivers flow downhill and since sea level is sea level there's no downhill...your rivers would have to flow uphill somewhere and physics won't allow that. You have this problem on both southern continents so simply break them up so that they don't go sea to sea. Your top left continent has a related problem - one lake with two outflows each going to a different sea. Again, simply chop one off somewhere. The center continent has rivers that fork out and this only happens in deltas. Since this a world map your deltas would, therefore, be ungodly huge. You could either break those up, like the other rivers, or make your deltas much much closer to the coast - almost unnoticeable. You could get away with this if this were a regional scale or city scale map but not world scale. On the positive side everything else looks great
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-28-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thank you very much. I didn't quite understand the rules about the thumbnails.

About the rivers : it was one of my first maps, so I made many mistakes ;-) But I can't fix them because I lost the CC3 file, I only have the JPEG file :-/ (and I don't feel brave enough to edit the map with my mouse)
    About the background : I started with the text on the periphery, but I didn't like it, the text wasn't visible enough. Personnaly, I prefer this version (and I'm in my "calligraphic period" :-D)
    Noon

very nice

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very cool !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Very cool looking as a small map, however, when I'm viewing the zoomed-in version, it looks a bit sparse.
    Blog: Too much game lore? | Diablo 3 guest passes
    Riftforge: (WIP) Map of Rift Isle, protected by elite raiders ( Play now }

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Great look & colors on this map. Nice job.