Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: December Entry: Xperemiante

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Call me weird, but labeling/thinking up names is my favorite part of the process. I love coming up with something unique-sounding, then imaging the history behind it and how it all interacts. Not to mention I like experimenting with meshing different fonts and sizes and numbers of labels into a map while keeping the whole thing legible and cool-looking. But then I'm just strange that way.

Well, I think it's more my lack of confidence in the labeling process. I'm doing this in Inkscape which I am a total noob with and I'm up against the gun time wise to finish this. Probably once I'm happy with my process and can just think about the names it will be more fun. When I have the time I do enjoy coming up with a history and imagining what the people of the world say about the Barbarian inhabited continent to the south or the volcano belching steam into the air. Do they sacrifice there? For now I'm stuck with trying to name everything, make sure it's legible and in harmony with the map. I also need to build up my font library. Oh well, I am fairly pleased with how this is looking considering I wasn't even sure it was going to look like anything when I started.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Did I do something wrong in my title that my entry is not in the thumbs yet or has it just not been updated in a while?

I got more labels done, finished the Compass Rose, Put the whole thing in a frame and started on a map key. The key is barely more than a placeholder but I wanted to get it down so I could see how things were going to fit.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	31874  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

What happens is that we need to add your entry in then run the scraper to get the image. I'd do it myself right now but I haven't had any sleep (just one of those nights where ya can't get to sleep) so I don't trust myself with the tech side of things right now. If it hasn't been done by this evening then I'll do it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

nice green for forests look

@Ascension - Thanks, I was hopeful that was what it was. I didn't want to go into the voting and not be on the ticket.

@silvijanus - Thanks for the comment. I did make a little tutorial on how to do those if you are interested. I should probably post that over in the Tutorials thread.

Well here's another update. This one might be it, unless someone sees something I just can't live without changing. I'm going to be busy tomorrow night so unless a miracle occurs I won't be able to do much. I think it's about as ready as I can get it....unless I catch insomnia again.

The border was a bit red so I tweaked that down. I also finished the map key. I was trying for a brass plate type thing and I guess it came out pretty well.

Edit: Looks like at 3.75mb the thumbnail pops off? Not sure, it's been going so well lately I just thought we'd finally figured it out.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Xperemiante.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.95 MB 
ID:	31912  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-31-2010 at 01:39 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's totally random as to what gets messed up - so far as we can tell. If you really want your thumbnail to be visible (which I always do) then re-save the image and then delete your uploaded one then re-upload it. The most I've ever had to do that is 2 re-ups.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well heck...it drives me nuts but I can't get that thing to work. I've deleted and re-uploaded like 5 times now...grrrr. I am like you in that I really want my thumbnail to work.

Well, now I know I'm done. I just saved my flattened version I've been using for doing labels over the top of my .xcf which means I blew away about 20 layers. That really sucks. I did gain a bunch of disk space (from like 600 down to like 40MB).
    Even though this isn't for anything other than the competition it does sort of give me a sick feeling in my stomach. I might feel a little depressed right now Thank goodness this wasn't a few days ago. At least I'm close to finished.

Must be time for me to move on to something else.

Minor update because I missed a label on a town.

PS. What do you know at least the thumb worked this time.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Xperemiante.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	31913  

That's purdy. Nice map, Jax!
    M

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast